Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Garrison Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LM Bass, Jan 3, 2003.

1. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Just had to post about the visit I just had. One of my former students is now living in New York, and working for Matt Garrison. He came home for Christmas and brought a Fodera MG signature bass with him. Matt has given it to him as a loaner. :cool: Man, what a nice bass! Alder body with a Chestnut top, maple neck and ebony fretboard. This bass really sings! It sounds best played fingerstyle with a very light touch. Great low mids, a nice balanced sound.

Kudos to Fodera for another great bass!

2. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Sounds sweet! Same combination of woods as my Emperor. But I do like the single cut design and would love to know if there is much tonal difference.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    just curious; what does your former student do for Matt ?

Must be cool to have his lineage.

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    It's the bass Joey is holding here:Fodera

5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Just about everything, I guess. . .
    Apparently Matt is working on a book about his right hand technique -sort of a flamenco guitar thing using 3 fingers and thumb. There's a DVD in the works as well, featuring his chordal concepts. My student also mentioned shipping CD's around the world to customers.

He's a lucky young man! What I wouldn't have done at 25, to be living in NYC, hanging with my bass hero. . .

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i agree with you ! though i do not remember who i was digginf 10 years ago.
    Joelle Leandre maybe ?

7. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    for me it was a toss up between Marc Johnson and Gary Karr. . . :)

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    On Herbie Hancock's new DVD with Matt Garrison you can see his three finger & thumb technique, man!.......he is a awesome player!!!! He takes a very cool solo....great DVD :cool:

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I used to dig Gary...Saw him in Baltimore once - he makes it look easy...

I like Robert Black a lot. very verstile bassist.

10. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>There's a DVD in the works as well, featuring his chordal concepts.<<

I've seen him live a few times and while the rolling finger technique gets all the attention, his chordal concept is no joke. It's very impressive.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Matt Garrison is probably the brightest young player to come around in a LONG time- Richrd Bona also comes to mind, but Matt has such an ORIGINAL aporoach- i absolutely LOVE his cd- gotta find the Herbie DVD for sure---
    Matt spent the entire time at last NAMM playng his bass- it was cool to just be near the cat!!
    [​IMG]

12. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Uh, Matt's dad was a pretty good bassist as well.

Chuck

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    yeah, pretty good- played with that Coltrane guy, he wasnt bad, either...;)

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    matts right hand style is pretty interesting, but the most confusing ive seen to date is gary willis'. i didnt realize how odd it was until i checked out his instructional video. his muting is done with alternating fingers using his thumb and looking like a claw. i decided to not even try it.

we've been having a discussion about matt over on the yahoo fodera group and it got kinda, uh, fun:eek:

everyone, buy the herbie dvd. its the shizzle

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Matt said his approach is based on Gary's, though they obviously aren't locked into one thing. I played his bass and the strings are practically on the pickups yet he has a pretty wide dynamic range. The basic technique does look like a claw-like motion.

Matt's the real deal and a very nice guy. After a show here in DC he went back on stage (a security guy actually stopped him at first... didn't know who he was) to grab his bass, came back and proceeding to go over some of his chord voicings with myself and a couple of friends. The guy is genuinely into the bass and pretty humble, considering the skill level.

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Cool.

Just for those who might not know it, Matt's father was the great jazz double bassist Jimmy Garrison. A good record of his playing is John Coltrane "Live at the Village Vanguard".

17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Does the bass you friend have is it a 33 scale or a 34?

I know his main bass is 33 set up with the lowest action I've ever felt on a bass. Its set up with a high C . It felt really foriegn to me ,I also cant deal witht the ramp. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the fodera shop, Hellswell fella!They origanally built him a 34.

I borrowed a 34 inch scale alder ebony board garrison a couple of weeks ago(the one that was Ebay) it was a great instrument.

I love the desighn of the body a impierial but the lower horn curves up a little.

AJ

18. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What do you guys think of this top?

AJ

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

AJ - Doesn't look bad at all. Who is it for?