Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Garrison on new Me'Shell album...!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Mar 8, 2005.

1. This was a bit of a surprise for me as well - I was jamming along on my bass to this and on the fourth track 'Papillon' this lovely, melodic bass starts taking a solo - I didn't even look at the sleeve to check who was - as it was obviously Matt - and he's killing as ever - plus he does a brilliant solo intro on another tune. Over all I need to hear this again to really get the flavour of it - as it has some great stuff on it but it's a mainly instrumental album, Cassandra Wilson does a great vocal on 'The Chosen' but it's like a leftfield jazz/funk record - though I have to say I was dissapointed with Me'Shell's playing as it seems to be pretty restrained throughout - maybe she felt intimidated (which I doubt) by the serious musos she got together, it's a shame because she's a wicked groover! It's an interesting project though and certianly not full of your run-of-the-mill jazz funk cliches - worth a listen - if only for Matt and Kenny Garrett

More details here:
    http://www.ijazz.org/cgi-bin/articles.cgi?page=forthcoming-detail;artc_id=1238;discs=discs;tracks=tracks

2. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Hey Urb

Pre-ordered it. I didn't know Matt was on it. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Saw Matt last night in Manchester. Had a really good chat with and was great to finally meet him face to face

3. Hi Gary - just listening to my freebie (sorry but it's one of the minor perks of my job) and on second listen I'm really digging it - there are actually three vocal tunes - Lala Hathaway is on one and the tune Aquarium is really beautiful - Matt's on loads of other tunes just laying it down and he's wicked at that as well...damn he's a pain in the ass! ;) It's a really good album actually - and Me'Shell's in the pocket too - I'll change my previous comments to this is a great album well worth checking out...

Glad you met Matt - possibly the best electric jazz bassist - alongside from Gary Willis and Di Piazza - on the planet right now. One thing that I thought was really cool when we spoke was that he hold Di Piazza in such high esteam - he said that when Dominique ordered a Fodera he actually ordered Matt's model - and Matt was totally gobsmacked because it as Dominique who inspired him the most on his four-fingered picking style - what goes around comes around eh?

M

4. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Hey Urb

I'm really looking foward to hearing it now :hyper:

I totally agree that Matt is simply outstanding. He is having a massive influence on my playing. Not only technically but approaching phrases

5. G - Have you got a ramp yet? I saw the pick of you and your Fender - so it ight not be the best bass to add one to - but I tell you it's a revelation in terms of how it affects your fingerstyle - even using two fingers is loads easier - definitely one of the reasons Matt can play like he does - but obviously he's got a ton of other stuff that makes him special.

M

6. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Urb

Your right about the jazz. Gonna get one on my new baby in progress though

[​IMG]

7. Nice one G - looking good.

:)

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sweet shuker!

very fortunate you are to have met Matt. I can't wait for my copy of Me'Shell's album.

9. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Yep very approachable guy and makes you feel like you have know him for ages.

I'm really looking forward to this album now, heard so many good reaports.

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Cool that is encouraging to hear, I always feel weird approaching cats of that stature.

...first one to receive the CD, has to post a review...

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    HEY!!! so is this album out yet?

12. Er, I kind of did - what else do you want know about it?

BTW Don't know when it's out in the US but was out yesterday here, UK, it's a very cool record - kinda different.

M

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I guess I'll have to check and see about it here in the US.