Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Pulcinella basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jun 2, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone have or have played these bass? What do you think?

2. I don't know. I tend to avoid things I can't pronounce. :)

3. I've played four of them, all 5-strings. They're kinda inconsistent, unfortunately, and setup can't be blamed since these were at Bass Palace and the Swami and his minions have never failed to tell me when a bass of theirs hasn't been taken care of. Two of them could have sold for twice what they were going for, but the other two were kinda blah. All four had different pickup configurations, fingerboard woods, and body woods, so it was hardly a controlled test.

I may end up getting one at some point, however, as a snappy-sounding bolt-on J-inspired 4 or 5 would be an excellent complement to the richness of my neck-through FBB.

4. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

They're actually very nice basses... Yes I do have one for sale, but I'm going to order another, a fretless Level 5 JJ... Mine has a quilt top and matching headstock, ebony board and gold hardware.. It's gorgeous and light, but what I liked best about these was they're very comfortable when strapped on.. Matts a nice guy to talk to if you want any info... And for the money, even brand new you can't go wrong... I did try some others before at The Bass Palace and thought they were pretty nice too.... Steven..

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Steven, why don't you put an ad in the classifieds?

I've played a Level 4 which has a price tag of $800 at a store I frequent. It was very lightweight and had a nice transparent jazz bass sound. (The Pickups were Duncan Basslines, if you're curious)

If all Pulcinellas are like that (which might not be the case, according to P-mac), they're well worh looking into.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played several... Matt does nice work. All depends on what your cup of tea is.

7. Exactly. The two I didn't like had:
    -Mahogany body, rosewood fingerboard, Seymour Duncan soapbars;
    and
    -Swamp ash body, maple fingerboard, Aero dual-coil soapbars

The Aeros are supposed to be very light, airy pickups, and with a swamp ash body the bass really didn't have any guts to the tone. The mahogany/rosewood bass was too muddy and the B was weak.

8. I just sold an alder/rosewood Level 5 with Bart J-style pickups and electronics. It was THE most comfortable-playing bass I've ever experienced -- light and ergonomically perfect. I sold it because the tone was too "hi-fi" for me.

But that's a personal preference issue; the bass itself was a superb instrument.

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I think it is very interesting that he says he doesn't believe ash or alder make a tonal difference on his basses.

10. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Big Wheel, yes I already put up an ad in classifieds.. Jason I agree with you on the ergonomics of these basses, very comfy and light.. Mine has an ash body and maple top... Steven...