Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Pulcinella Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 16, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey fellas,

yesterday, a few buds and i went to the NY Guitar show on 34th st. it was a bit lack luster, and more for my guitar side, but lo and behold in the middle of the show floor was Matt and his basses. i got to talk with him, and found out he's cool dood, not to mention, a fellow philadelphian, my home town. :thumbs up:

anywho, he had his whole collection from the "in stock" page on his website on hand, as well as a sweet candy apple red with matching headstock jbass style in alder with an ebony board. and i gotta say, it ROCKED!

wish i had a pic to post, cause the finish was flawless. neck was very fast, and easy in my hands. fretwork was topnotch too. literally played like butter.

had a set of Aero pickups. always heard about 'em, but never heard them. these were loud, punchy and very articulate. more on the revved modern jbass side. i asked what preamp he was using, but the bass was passive! made me think twice about my Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pu's. was a bit punchier, and markedly throatier. my friend said it sounded a bit compressed, but for slap, it killed. not as mid attenuated as the UJ's, so thumpin' had a mean gutsy to it.

i was a little bummed that i didnt get to try one of his "semi" fretless basses. they have frets up to the 5th or 7th position, then go fretless the rest of the way up. can you say cool?

i've been surfing the website, and his Level6 looks impressive. i'm not a 6 stringer guy, but this one looks very promising. it also has a 3 band demeter. very :cool:

[​IMG]

it also didnt hurt that he allowed you to demo the basses thru his Walter Woods Ultra & Bag End 1x12. :D my first time playing one, and admittedly, i wanted to try that more than his basses. :p

but, overall, i was really impressed with his work. and best of all, they're incredibly inexpensive. for a wee bit less i could do a parts bass, but why when i could get a kicker of a Pulcinella.

btw, you say his name, "Pull - Sin - Ella"

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Joker's got GAS!!! Joker's got GAS!!:D ;)

'Sup!?
    (don't worry, you are not alone)
    Year or so ago, I was real interested in one of his Level 4's, so I called & talked w/ Matt-Nicest guy you could meet, & he know his business.
    Didn't do it then, but one day, I would like to have him build me a L4 -very good pricing for your choice of pups, finish, hardware, etc. I know these things have a good feel to 'em, sure would like to demo one though.
    What so they feel like? A P or J or their own thing?

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Thanks for the post. I keep reading good things about MP basses. I'm in the market for a new bass and I think I'll give him a call.

4. I like 'em, but some of the ones I've played (I've played 4 in total) haven't called to me as much as the others. I once played an awesome alder/rosewood one with Bart single-coils...oh, man. KILLER.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I love the body style of the MPs. They're like a more ergonomic version of the Pedulla Thunders. He should go with a more sculptured headstock, though.

6. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Very nice and very comfortable basses.... Matt's also cool to deal with....

7. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I've had one of his level 5s for about a year and a half. Like it a whole lot. Pretty light and very comfortable during long sets. Doesn't do the nose dive like some of the Fenders I've had. I've got the passive Aeros with a "boobinga" top. I would happily do it again, and perhaps I will.

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been wondering about these basses
    for awhile. Would you rate them in the
    same catagory as the lakland skyline, or
    carvins, or american fenders? Are they
    even higher quality?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey LJ,

LOL! geesh, GAS isnt as bad as it used to be. besides, i got a host of gear i'm trying to unload cause my studio's starting to look more like a storefront... :rolleyes: but once ebay comes to the rescue, hopefully, i'll be giving Matt a call. for something as low priced and handmade, he does a killer deal.

i did a search last night on TB, saw a few posts here and there, and realized maybe Matt's trying new things with this batch of basses. maybe that's why he's trying to do the guitar show rounds.

anywho, back to the JJ4,

feel wise, the jazz neck was a really fast, yet filled my hand nicely. i really liked how the edge were rounded off like on a "beat to crap, used since day one" vintage Jbass neck. like he measured his fav neck. why doesnt anyone else do this? running up and down the neck was very comfortable to say the least. more so than my "perfected" parts bass and Mike Lull.

also, at first i was thinking if the body was a parts from warmoth or USA custom, but i've never seen a body like this one. apparently much slimmer overall and sleeker (there's that word again...) than Sadowsky's i've played, my Lull, and the USA custom body i have.

i'm not talking the thickness, but more the width of the bass e.g. the waist, from upper horn to bottom horn, and back butt. edges on the body were rounded off too, so the whole body had a really smooth finish all around. even if the body was a parts, Matt carving it out to match his specs is still impressive.

the JJ4's on the website look wider than the one i've played. maybe Matt's trying a new body style.

the 5 strings were more standardish, and i kinda wish Matt could somehow incorporate that slimness into those. everything on the jbass style 5'er just looked too honky and not as fast as the 4 i played.

as for BSTring's question, yea, i say they're up there with Lakland. i've seen a couple and they only struck me as ok. i'm not a fan too much, but i do appreciate fine work. the Pulcinella's are up there, if not exceed in some respects.

again, i dont remember seeing the 6 stringer i posted up there, but i wish i did... :( and i'm mostly talking about his jbass types.

i wouldnt be raving this much about a bass if i knew i could assemble it myself using parts from Tommy at USA, but this one definitely stood out. for the kind of work that went into it, and the low price Matt was offering, how could a person not notice?

10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Thanks for the informative info- Now I got GAS!!
    Seriously though, I would like to add one of Matt's
    L4's to my arsenal.

BTW, I was so moved by the plight of your overcrowded studio that I am willing to take that gear off your hands to make some room for you-
    So go right ahead & ship me your Demeter cab & VTB & your Peavey DPC- that will clear up a couple of rack spaces at least...
    No,no don't mention it-my pleasure!:D ;)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    knew i could count on a fellow forumite... ;)

12. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    So what's up with the neck on that six string? Looks like it is split down the middle with BEA strings fretless and DGC fretted.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

that's just the lighting. i'm pretty sure that's a standard neck.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I also went to that show late Sunday & when I got ther, Matt was packing up!!!! :( I really wanted to play one. Oh well. :(

15. Nino - you coulda banged away on my Level 5 at the Rustic on Friday! :D

In all seriousness - am really diggin' my Korina Level 5 / maple neck and basslines electronics. Great balance, playability, tone.....

With regards to inconsistency in how an MP "speaks to you" - I had a similar experience as Peter M. Tried out an earlier Level 5 with Bart single coils at Guitar Villa, was not very impressed. All I can attribute this to is that Matt is relatively new to the luthier scene.

His later creations seem to be exhibiting more consistency and better attention to detail.

16. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I got one!! Wanna buy it???

Great stuff, Matt just refinished mine for me for nothing