matt pulcinella guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Apr 4, 2004.

1. i just recently stuck a deal with a fellow TB'er for a trade on a Matt Pulcinella Level 5 with lightwave pickups. I made a bit of a leap of faith on this bass having never tried a Pulcinella or lightwave pickups. I should recieve the bass on tuesday.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what i should expect when i get the bass as far as playablility, construction tone etc.

here's a pic of the bass:[​IMG]
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've talked with a former owner and Matt P. about this bass. I'll be interested to find out your opinions.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I don't care for lightwaves, so I'm not going to say a word about that aspect of the instrument. I have played several MPG basses and thought every one of them was very good... Good construction, tone, and playability. The one you have on the way does look fantastic though! :cool:
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Is that a thumb rest cut into the body?
  5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had an MPG level 5 and I thought it was a solid bass. It was not set up with Lightwave though. The bass was well built and really well balanced and it was very lightweight. I liked the bass. Your's looks very nice. Good luck!
  6. thanks for all the comments, although this one kind of worries me :confused:
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So why did you trade? :confused:
  8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    What I remember from when the bass was on sale previously was that it was a great bass except for being fairly heavy from all that bubinga. If you search the Basses For Sale forum, you may find the old listing.

Also, I could be remembering wrong.
  9. until that comment i've heard plenty of good things about matt's basses and lightwave pickups. plus, I had a bass sitting around that was getting no use and i figured rather than let is sit around and depreciate i might as well give something new a try and took the leap of faith.

i'm not even sure what was meant by the comment. i gather that the info he recieved was not positive or he most likely would have stated such. regardless, i believe in the adage "different strokes for different folks"

maybe this'll be just what i'm looking for, but if not i guess someone else will get the chance to try it out.

thanks for the feedback though everyone, i'll get it on tuesday and give a run-through and on thursday i'll see how it stands up in a live setting so i'll give a full report after that.
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What's not to understand.. If you had doubts (which you seemed to have had to begin with) why trade? Why not wait for something that you'd be more sure of?
  11. found the old thread, thanks for the info, weight isn't much of a problem for as this bass will most likely be a secondary bass to my roscoe, possibly tertiary to my cirrus. in other words, it won't be played for really long periods of time.

any other insights still welcome.
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you! I actually almost bought that bass from a previous owner. After talking to him and Matt, we all agreed it just wouldn't be the right bass for me. I still am very interested in hearing more opinions about it, and just recently was wondering where it went. You've got a unique piece there. Matt said he'll never do another Lightwave because the installation and extra work was a bit of a pain in the butt to him.
  13. i got the bass a few hours ago and gave it a whirl on my eden wt400 and avatar cb115. Overall i really like ht bass, i'm still doing some dialing in to find the best tone for me out of the bass. The weight of the bass doesnt seem too bad (don't get me wrong, all that bubinga weighs much more than my cedar/walnut roscoe) when played with a strap. I really like the way it looks also.

Fingerstyle this bass thumps very impressively. Slap style tough, the low notes tend to get a bit muddy, like i said though, i haven't played around too much with the eq on the bass.

The construction on the bass is great too, nothing that i noticed upon a quick look over. Oh well those are my thoughts thus far, i've got to get back to work now, but i'll hav a review of the bass in a live setting on friday or shortly after.
  14. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    glad to hear you dig it. enjoy.
  15. I considered that bass as a trade too. Matt's comment to me was "It sounds like a 30 foot tall p-bass." That should be pretty cool. I've also heard that the battery life isn't very long onthose things.
  16. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    ya know, i've heard the same yet never had a battery go bad on me w/ it. it does come w/ an ac adapter; not to practical onstage, but i always used it playing at home.