Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Pulcinella Level 5 JJ Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Jan 14, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Any one have any thoughts about Matt Pulcinella Level 5 JJ Basses....

I've been playing the same Fender Jazzbass for 8 years and it has seen a lot of work... I'm looking for a solid 'working tool' to be part of my regular gig. I was thinking about a 5 string MM Stingray, but for around the same price MPG offers a great five string (from what I have been told and read)... Are there any users out there that could give me their opinion?

Any Atlanta Residents with MPG Level 5... please contact me, I would like to try one of these basses out... without having to drive to PA.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They had a used one at the Warrior Gallery on Piedmont Rd.

3. My only advice is that the Level 5's and JJ's sound tremendously different from bass to bass because of all the different wood, pickup, and preamp options.

I had an alder/pau ferro one with Bart J pickups and Bart preamp that was great for fingerstyle but not great for slap, and a mahogany/pau ferro one with Basslines soapbars and Basslines pre that sounded GREAT for slap, but muddy for fingerstyle.

Your best bet really IS to play one, although I know that's a tough proposition.

I think on his web site under "sold basses", he mentions that some of the ones he's made have gone to Atlanta. . .

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    WoodChuck,

I'll ask Ty (at Warrior) who might have purchase that one... But, I think that he might get a little mift, if I'm asking about MPG and not Warrior. He has been trying to get me into a Warrior like RBM or Classic cars are trying to get me into a Mercedes... Granted I can afford neither at the moment.

MPG's seem to be real practical and affordable... made by a gigging/working stiff like myself... His perspective on the instrument's construction is valuable.

Thanks for the head's up on the MPG at Warrior's Gallery... it is like walking distance from me.

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Jsonnenblick,

The combination that I was thinking about... granted I do need to try out first... is the Aguilar Preamp, 35 inch scale, Alder body, Maple fingerboard, Barto JJ p/u's.

I noticed that Matt mentioned that at least three have made it down to the ATL Area... Woodchuck mentioned that one of them might still be at the Warrior Guitar Gallery here in Midtown. I have to try one out.... or get a ticket to PA to go to the Guitar Villa. That does seem like a lot of trouble to find a working "Player" bass for the day to day gigs.

Thx for the reply

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have been wanting to check one out badly.

If you check his website, I believe he has a very reasonable return policy.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Lo Freq,

I ended up getting a new bass and it is a Warrior 5 String Soldier... Check it out if you would like...

I just got back from the Warrior Gallery (where they had a MPG) getting my new bass setup and they mentioned that the MPG was sold... so I never got the chance to try it out.

From my little research on MPG's, they aren't worth the $... they are hand built, but totally CNC'd.

It wasn't the choice for me... hopefully your research yields a different result.

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    why the but?

f

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Sorry my lexicon must have been off... I usually use better grammar.

Hand made and hand built are different from each other , right?

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    absolutely, that wasn't my question.

you speak of CNC as a detriment to an instrument's value.

just wondering why you thought that way.

f

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    "...CNC as a detriment"

CNC isn't a bad thing at all... I think that I failed to say my search was for my 'first ever' 100% handmade quality instrument (other than that crappy Wishbass)... this time I was looking for that kind of thing.

My current Fender and all of my past Fenders were/are CNC'd... this time I was on a hunt for something else. Lakland's are CNC'd... Many of the boutique hi-end Fender Clones are CNC'd... they sound fabulous!...

My apologies....

12. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    no need to apologise to me!!!

i'm the resident "bone-head" anyway.

just wanted to hear your thought process, that's all.

thanks!

f

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    "...just wanted to hear your thought process, that's all..."

Well, you know what a synapse is right? 'Thought process' begins with an 'action potential'... then, there is a firing of some sort between the synaptic cleph and the ends of the dendrites.. Other than that I'm not that knowledgable about brain function...

14. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i just wanted to know what premises were chosen for you to SEEMINGLY come to the conclusion that CNC was a bad, bad thing.

better?

f

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    CNC'd basses aren't a bad, bad thing... sometimes quite precise.

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ok, funny man...

:D

let's start over:

you:

"From my little research on MPG's, they aren't worth the $... they are hand built, but totally CNC'd."

in this quote, you set-up your argument with 2 premises:

1. "they are hand built,..."
    2. "but are totally cnc'd."

both possibly true premises.

your conclusion:

"they aren't worth the money."

this argument is invalid, since the premises don't imply the conclusion.

at least that's my halfbaked logic attempt.

f

17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The CNC thing??? Hell - either way, it's still a blade cutting through the wood. IME, a CNC machine in the right hands is much less dangerous than a relatively inept builder who thinks that "hand made" is instant "quality." As long as the person programming/running the machine considers each board's grain, I don't care. But, the finer aspects always seem to beg a human touch, such as body rounding and neck profiling.

I don't have much respect for "Bass Player" reviews since their wallets don't shell out for the reviewed gear. But the glaring faults of the Level 5 review in their January issue suggested I don't want something that poor. To me, that sucker seemed junky.

18. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    fhodshon,

Sorry for my botch-sense-of-humor... I'm working at my daygig at the moment... I hope that I didn't p-you off.

rickbass,

That is very true about CNC'd instruments.

I read the Bass Player article... I do agree with you, but one thing that I did like was the fact that the builder is a gigging/working bassist. The sloppiness that BP found didn't appeal to me. Warrants a lesser price tag IMO... the finishes are great looking and he has a great light-weight well-balanced bass.

Being that I can't afford to buy a bass that only is good for one thing (my wallet doesn't warrant it and my gigs are of many different types of music), I needed variety. Oddly enough the Warrior I just got is great and versatile. The fret-work is out of this world... the finish is beautiful. The neck is smooth and broken in. It has a great valute (sp?) and it was the same if not less (price) than the comprable model that MPG was offering... So that is what lead me to buy this instead of that

19. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    HECK NO!

i thought it was funnier than hell!!!

especially the part about hearing your brain in action.

f

20. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You hit the nail on the head, j-raj - they seem to be marketed as "upper-end" basses. Yet, that review indicated "crapola", relative to image/price.

I thought the comment about the lower horn being so small that the MP bass fell off the knee was a stitch!

I'd really like to see a retort in BP by Pulcinella. They used to do that before that rag became so shabby under Leigh......IMO.