1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Matt Pulnicella basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Jun 11, 2004.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I'm seriously considering having a custom Level 5 made by Matt Pulnicella.I've been to his website,and spoken to him about what I want. I just wanted some feedback from anyone that currently owns one of his basses about how they like the instruments.I need as much info as I can. Was it done on time,is the workmanship as good as you expected,ever any problems,etc... I hope to get somethig started in a few weeks.Let me know your opinions. Thanks everybody!

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've never played one, but I sure wish I have :)

Do a quick search - you'll be hard pressed to find negative reviews on the MPG level 5's.

3. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I got a MPG 5JJ (jazz bass with Villex pus) in a trade. The bass feels very solid and extremely comfortable but I am a bit underwhelmed by the sound. I contacted Matt and he suggested swapping out the pus. I'm probably going to take it to Roger Sadowsky and have him install the pus and Sadowsky pre. Like I said it is extremely comfortable and well built, but I'm not crazy with the sound.

4. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    I traded a Modulus Genesis for this Level 5. I had read the Bass Player review and positive comments posted here, I went ahead with the trade. WOW! What a pleasant surprise! I was really impressed! I love this bass! It plays very easily, it sounds great, it's very versitile, comfortable, everything!

I am very seriously looking at having Matt build me a custom. I think you can have the bass built with confidence. Matt's policy is fool proof, so I would go for it.

Let us know what happens!

5. I traded for the infamous level 5 lightwave that has circulated here on talkbass and i think i can safely say that it's found a permanent home in my arsenal. I absolutely love it, my only complaint is that it is solid bubinga and very heavy (very beuatiful as well). here's a pic.

[​IMG]

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I had an Level 5 that I felt the same about. Extremely well-balanced and well-made but the sound was a little lacking. Fingerstyle was nice but slap was missing something. It had barts. The look was a little too high-tech for me as well. Sometimes I wish I still had it though...

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Yeah, I know what you mean. No doubt they are really well made and ergonimically wonderful; and they can take a lot of use which I also really respect. But I've got to get the sound more focused and even on the thing. If I can do that I'll be very happy with it.

8. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I got my Level 5 ordered yesterday! I'm going with a beautiful spalted top,which I got to see a picture of, matching headstock,birdseye maple fretboard,no markers on the fretboard,bart preamp, and a single Basslines MM alnico pickup in the MM location. Matt sent me a picture of the spalt that he just ordered,and I told him that I'd take it. He is even ordering a special bridge to keep the spacing close to a factory Music Man. He says it'll be 4 months to completion time. Should be interesting.

9. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Can you post a pic of the spalted maple?

Geoff

10. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Here it is. I think it will look awsome on a Level 5 body! Think so?

11. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Congrats, my friend! If it's as much fun to play as mine, you're in for a treat! :bassist:

So...........

how long do we wait? :meh: