Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Pulnicella basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Jun 11, 2004.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I'm seriously considering having a custom Level 5 made by Matt Pulnicella.I've been to his website,and spoken to him about what I want. I just wanted some feedback from anyone that currently owns one of his basses about how they like the instruments.I need as much info as I can. Was it done on time,is the workmanship as good as you expected,ever any problems,etc... I hope to get somethig started in a few weeks.Let me know your opinions. Thanks everybody!

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've never played one, but I sure wish I have :)

Do a quick search - you'll be hard pressed to find negative reviews on the MPG level 5's.

3. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I got a MPG 5JJ (jazz bass with Villex pus) in a trade. The bass feels very solid and extremely comfortable but I am a bit underwhelmed by the sound. I contacted Matt and he suggested swapping out the pus. I'm probably going to take it to Roger Sadowsky and have him install the pus and Sadowsky pre. Like I said it is extremely comfortable and well built, but I'm not crazy with the sound.

4. I traded a Modulus Genesis for this Level 5. I had read the Bass Player review and positive comments posted here, I went ahead with the trade. WOW! What a pleasant surprise! I was really impressed! I love this bass! It plays very easily, it sounds great, it's very versitile, comfortable, everything!

I am very seriously looking at having Matt build me a custom. I think you can have the bass built with confidence. Matt's policy is fool proof, so I would go for it.

Let us know what happens!

5. I traded for the infamous level 5 lightwave that has circulated here on talkbass and i think i can safely say that it's found a permanent home in my arsenal. I absolutely love it, my only complaint is that it is solid bubinga and very heavy (very beuatiful as well). here's a pic.

[​IMG]

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I had an Level 5 that I felt the same about. Extremely well-balanced and well-made but the sound was a little lacking. Fingerstyle was nice but slap was missing something. It had barts. The look was a little too high-tech for me as well. Sometimes I wish I still had it though...

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Yeah, I know what you mean. No doubt they are really well made and ergonimically wonderful; and they can take a lot of use which I also really respect. But I've got to get the sound more focused and even on the thing. If I can do that I'll be very happy with it.

8. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I got my Level 5 ordered yesterday! I'm going with a beautiful spalted top,which I got to see a picture of, matching headstock,birdseye maple fretboard,no markers on the fretboard,bart preamp, and a single Basslines MM alnico pickup in the MM location. Matt sent me a picture of the spalt that he just ordered,and I told him that I'd take it. He is even ordering a special bridge to keep the spacing close to a factory Music Man. He says it'll be 4 months to completion time. Should be interesting.

9. Can you post a pic of the spalted maple?

Geoff

10. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Here it is. I think it will look awsome on a Level 5 body! Think so?

11. Congrats, my friend! If it's as much fun to play as mine, you're in for a treat! :bassist:

So...........

how long do we wait? :meh: