1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Matt Rubano=good

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by thebassist1234, May 5, 2006.

1. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    I know most of you don't care about emo or punk, but Matt Rubano from Taking Back Sunday has to be one the best bassists in the genre. His tone and articulation are extremeley good. I think that he also uses an aguilar db750 and 4x12 cab. Either way I just love his tone.

2. I just got their new album and it's good, if not exciting. They definitely have their sound and they're sticking to it. (Not that there's anything wrong with that..) Matt sounds great on the CD. He said in BP that he ditched the 5-string for now.

3. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    I'm not "that" into louder now, but I still love it. Where you want to be was nearly life changing though.

I didnt know he ditched the fiver......

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You should hear him on Schleigho's "Continent". Or see him live. The guy is majorly instense.

5. ChadSmith

ChadSmith

May 7, 2006
    Any TBS album you'd recommend in particular? I'm not framiliar with them....=

6. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    the first one probably has the best songs, but awful recording.

the second one is kind of boring, and tamed; which the band definitely is NOT.

this one is probably the best all round.

Great band though who worked hard and built their following ALL by themselves.
    Just by going out and playing their assesoff and making friends.

The singer, Adam, is the star in my opinion.., I actually brought him in to guest on Cyndi Lauper's last record...

but, yes, Matt is a GREAT player.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Adam Lazarra is so full of himself. You can tell it just by watching him on stage.

Matt Rubano is the one reason I won't stop liking this band. He's a creative player, and he's got some credibility. He's very fun to watch live. I'm sad to hear he's not using the Marcus Miller V anymore. He's the reason I wanted to get a 5 string style Jazz.

However, I liked Shaun Cooper, Taking Back Sunday's old bassist, more than Matt. That has more to do with how I thought "Tell All Your Friends" is one of the greatest emo albums ever written. Now Shaun and TBS's old guitarist, John Nolan, started Straylight Run, which I like more than current Taking Back Sunday. Matt was definetely a fitting replacement for Shaun.

8. In BP, he said he found the B string just didn't work for rock music, and TBS's songs in particular. He also said he's playing almost everything with one finger.

9. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i love tbs as a band and matt as a bass player. i don't know if i like him more than tbs' first bass player though?, thay are both awesome. oh and their first album was, is, and always will be their greatest ever(followed by their second).

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    As a Session Player, he's tight as hell. I don't like TBS on any level unfortunately, it seems very strange he should play some top sessions with the likes of Lauryn Hill and then revert back to his Emo-ish roots...

But I like Matt's playing, for sure.

11. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    maybe because it's a lot more fun playing with a great rock band that people love everywhere you go, instead of doing sessions for other people.

Adam is in my view entitled to be full of himself... but he absolutely is NOT.
    One of the most humble guys I've ever met.

12. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Shaun Cooper was an exceptional rock bassist no doubt. Matt Rubano on the other hand played the bass line to "A decade under the influence" It really amazed me that he could write that type of line into a rock song. It's so full of space and beautiful yet also "chugging" Seriously check that bass line out. One of my favorite to play.

13. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Didn't he graduate from berklee? I think I remember reading that. He is definately a good player. But I really don't like TBS or much music in that genre, but thats just me.

Dan

14. bassmasta05

bassmasta05

Jun 14, 2006
    im pretty sure shawn cooper wrote the bassline to A dcade under the influence because that was on the Tell All Your Friends CD and Matt Rubano wasnt in the band then.

Shawn Cooper is one of my favorite bassists, he writes some really catchy, busy basslines in a genre that generally defines itself with simplicity. He is in the band Straylight Run now, they are good, but not as good as Taking Back Sunday.

15. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    a decade under the influence is on the where you want to be cd when matt rubano was in the band

16. bassmasta05

bassmasta05

Jun 14, 2006
    yea your right, my bad.

good bassline nonetheless

17. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    He was a monster with Schleigho! Its a shame that some people probably see that he plays with Taking Back Sunday and automatically assume he is just average. He can funk it up!

18. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    o i agree completly hes my favorite by far for the emo sound but jeremy davis also can hold his own in paramore

19. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    Matt Rubano is one of my heroes from when i was in my Pop-punk phase, which i seem to be getting back into
    hooray