1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MATTE Black Friday (NBD)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dub56, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Just got this in the mail today and thought it was fitting for Black Friday..
    20181123_185612. 20181123_185642. 20181123_185734. 20181123_185801. 20181123_183942.
    I removed the pickup cover and installed a treble bezel, and I set it up in DGCF. Loving it so far, super punchy and grindy. Sounds great with OD and I'm digging it with a pick.

The whole bass has more of a satin feel than other Rics I have played, and I love that. Even the fretboard is matte. No sticky/shiny lacquer to be found on this beast.

One critique is that the neck pickup is pretty weak compared to the bridge, so I'll likely consider upgrading it at some point. That has been my experience on every 4003 I've played though, not just this one.

I bought a 2018 Ric earlier this year, but (sadly) had a bad experience with some QC issues and ultimately ended up returning it. I was a bit apprehensive as a result... but this one thankfully turned out great. I'm glad I decided to give a 4003 another go.

Thanks to the folks at Wildwood Guitars as well, great to deal with!

Happy (matte) Black Friday. I'm going to go play bass now :D:bassist:

20181123_183939.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    PWRL, Ghastly, Lammchop93 and 34 others like this.
  2. First time I've seen a matte finished Ric.
    Like it.

Any idea which pickup you'll end up with?
    Duncan and Bartolini are the ones I know about--are there others out there from smaller companies?

Kombo and Dub56 like this.
  3. nice score...why anyone would buy a Ric anyplace other than Wildwood is beyond me...best prices and customer service ever!!!

Dub56 likes this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Non-Jetglo?

Dub56 likes this.
  5. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I'm thinking I'll potentially try a new neck pickup from Classic Amplification at some point. Of all the aftermarket Ric pickups I have researched, I've heard the best things about those. Outside of those brands, I think Joe Barden makes some as well.

I really like the bridge pickup and blended tones a lot currently, but I do think the neck pickup is noticeably weaker and less usable in comparison. Volume in blended mode even suffers a bit (compared to soloing the bridge) due to how weak the neck pickup is compared to the bridge. I'm hoping maybe the aftermarket neck pickup might increase overall versatility a bit... because as of right now, I don't really see myself using the neck pickup setting.

KeithAlanK likes this.
  6. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Thanks, and I totally agree! Excellent customer service from Wildwood. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the price of this bass... I've seen used 4003s going for the same price or more. Pretty awesome.

Part of the reason I decided to give a 4003 another go so soon was because of the positive stuff I had read about Wildwood around TB recently. Definitely ended up being a good choice, highly recommend them.

There are still a couple of my bass's siblings available as well. There were 4 matte blacks to start with when I got mine, now there are two left.

You searched for 4003 - Wildwood Guitars

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  7. Yep i snagged a mapleglo 4003 a few years back new and paid less than what most people were asking for a used one...

Dub56 likes this.
  8. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Correct, this one is different than Jetglo! I think the Matte Black must be a new offering for 2018.

Other than the black being Matte, the entire bass has a satin finish that differs from the shinier lacquer finish on a Jetglo bass. Even the fretboard and neck are satin/matte on this one, which I love. Feels much smoother to me.

I also know mine has a Bloodwood fingerboard rather than Rosewood. I don't think that's specific to the Matte Blacks though, most likely just something they are using in more recent production. Outside of that stuff, I think it is essentially the same as a Jetglo.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    B-Mac likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

too cool! being a sucker for a black bass: i really like the look of that ax. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 and Dub56 like this.
  10. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    That was basically my experience with this one as well, so I was pretty happy about that. I think I got lucky and got the Black Friday sale a bit early since I called and asked directly about one of these a couple of days before the sale started (again, really nice of Wildwood), but still. Even the price before the sale was good for a new 4003 compared to what I've seen most/all other places.

11. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Thanks! I've always been a sucker for the looks of these 4003s. I'm glad I went with the black too

JRA likes this.
  12. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

That is pretty cool and a radical (for Ric) departure from the ‘norm’. Does it have an ‘official’ color name like Matte-dull glo (serious) or something?

13. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I have only seen it referred to as Matte Black, no special name as far as I can tell. I think the 'model code' is 4003MBL.

I've seen them sprinkled across a few dealers online, but I haven't seen a ton on them in general. I'm assuming they're just a new color and not a limited run, but I'm not sure.

B-Mac likes this.
  14. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Dude! That is F*&^%$ bad-ass! Congrats!

Dub56 likes this.
  15. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Thank you!!

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Very nice!

Dub56 likes this.
  17. Just now seeing this. I hope you're still digging your Rick, @Dub56. I did some horsetrading and got one of these matte black beauties used in mint condition at my local GC in the fall. I really like the way the satiny neck feels in my hand.
    Did you ever change the neck pickup?

18. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Still digging mine! I love the satin finish as well, especially on the neck. Definitely prefer it over the typical lacquer finished Rics I've played.

I haven't changed the neck pickup yet. That is a pretty low priority for me at the moment, but I would like to try another one at some point for sure. I'm intrigued by the Classic Amplification pickups, so I'll probably go for one of those if/when I do.

I really like the blended and bridge tones currently, but I doubt I'll be using the neck pickup solo'd as it sits right now. I'd describe it as too weak and round, which is not at all what I'm going for when I'm playing my Ric.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Looks really good - I'm a fan of matte finishes. I especially like the matte fb as I've never been a fan of shiny fb's, especially Rics. Matte finishes will 'shine-up' where interfaced which I also like - shows it's being played. :bassist:

Dub56 likes this.