1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Matte color finish vs. Natural oil finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EliasMessiah, Dec 8, 2020.

1. EliasMessiah

EliasMessiah

Aug 28, 2020
    Hey, wanted to buy a Ric 4003, but can't decide between the Walnut (oil finish) and Autumnglo (matte finish) variant. Normally i'd take the Autumnglo one because it has a rosewood fretboard, but on the other hand i feel like the direct contact to wood, would feel and play better. This is very important to me, cause i can't stand glossy finish. Would be very helpful, if there is someone, who can describe the difference and give me a strong opinion.

PS: Please don't tell my i have to go to the store and try for myself. I live in Germany and when you find a store that features Rickenbacker, they only feature one model to try, if at all.

gebass6 likes this.
  2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I have a couple of "matte" finish basses, a Carvin BB70 and an ESP Stream.

From what I've read a matte finish is simply a regular finish without the clear coat rubbed out. They look nice at first, but in my case, I've rubbed the finish to a shine in a couple places where my arm and fingers rub. It doesn't look bad, but beware, "matte" finishes don't stay that way forever.

EliasMessiah likes this.
  3. EliasMessiah

EliasMessiah

Aug 28, 2020
    I see, thanks for the warning!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021