1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Matte/satin Modulus finish polish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IdealWay, May 3, 2010.

1. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Hey folks, I just got a Modulus Q5 in a trade that has a low-gloss finish, you might call it a satin finish, and it has some fuzzy looking dull spots and light scratches that I want to try to buff out. What do you all use to make your low-gloss finished basses look top notch? I used a product called Guitar Scratch Remover for my high-gloss basses and it worked wonders, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on this bass. If you have any tips or tricks please share. Thanks

2. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    So I've done some searching and come up with a lot of talk of sanding then using automotive polish. I'd like to avoid this if possible. I don't want to turn this into a high-gloss finish, just to add some luster to the satin finish. There's got to be a way, maybe a wax product to apply or something? Anyone heard about using a brown paper bag??

3. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Maybe call a shop?

4. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Who needs a shop when you've got TalkBass!? :eyebrow: ;)

I plan on contacting Modulus (although they're usually pretty slow to respond), but figured I'd check here first.

5. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    bump

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Do *NOT* follow this advice without first confirming from a reliable authority -- like, say, Modulus themselves, or a luthier or refinisher of similar pedigree -- that I'm not completely full of crap...but fwiw, I had reasonable success using Rubbing Compound on a finished (painted) neck that needed to be spruced up.

7. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is "Rubbing Compound"?

8. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Something that auto body painters use.

9. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I ended up testing the Guitar Scratch Remover product on a small spot and it worked great so I polished up the entire bass. It did exactly what I wanted and no had adverse reactions that I'm aware of. Hope this can help someone in the future!

10. Can you post a link to that remover?

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Ha! Thought this was a ? about the neck! If so, don't get the gloss! :D

12. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    http://guitarscratchremover.com/

I was a little skeptical about it at first, but I've used it for awhile now and it makes a really great polish + gets rid of most small scratches.