Matthew Garrison Opinions?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jul 27, 2001.

1. I'm thinking of ordering his solo album. I haven't heard his playing before, but I'm seeing him more often in magazine articles and advertisements. Oteil Burbridge lists Matthew Garrison as one of his favorite bass players and links MG's website to his own. (And I've enjoyed Oteil's recommendations so far.) I've also heard that MG has amazing technique. So what do you guys think? Should I get his solo album or the John McLaughlin album? I'm always looking for new players who have a distinct sound and style. Would you say that he sounds like another bass player or another musician?
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if you are going to get a john mclaughlin album to hear his playing you should get the heart of things live album over the studio album. you can actually here him in the mix and he's given more room to solo on the live disc. if you like busy fusion bass players, i guess you would like matt garison. he's another fusion bass player that has that bridge pickup sound and gets a somewhat thin tone out of his fodera.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can check him out on many Steve coleman albums as well. I think it would be worth it.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have been meaning to pick up the LIVE Heart of Things cd(BMG &/or ColumbiaHouse are stocking it)...the STUDIO album is pretty anorexic as far as hearing Garrison's superlative playing.
    FWIW, I like Garrison a lot(ditto for his dad, Jimmy).
    I have the 'solo' album...I dunno, too much of it sounded like a demo? I dunno, for some reason, I wasn't floored(& I was expecting to be the music, not necessarily just the bass playing).
    I dunno... ;)
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i was floored by the live heart of things cd. otmaro ruiz really adds a lot to the lineup. garrison is also much more audible and sounds like part the ensemble. and chambers is...well dennis chambers.
  6. I picked up the live Heart of Things yesterday. It was a good choice. I didn't realize there was a studio version of the same album and that there wasn't much bass on the album. I heard McLaughlin's Que Allegria album many years ago, and there was tons of bass on it. I think Kai Eckhard (another great bass player) and another bass player were on the album. If I remember correctly, I think there was even one solo bass piece on it - a very chordal 6-string piece. Anyway, I'll be listening more closely to MG. There was one bass solo on the album. Some Jaco inspired lines are happening! (But then again, who hasn't been influenced by Jaco;))
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dominique Di Piazza and Kai Eckhardt (2 songs).
  8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i listened to a little of the new tone center cd with kai eckhardt,steve smith,larry coryell and someone else. i cant remember though, i think it was steve marcus. anyway it sounded good with some very upfront bass work.
  9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Great technique can't write. I have his solo album and I really liked the first tune but then it went downhill fast. The rest sucked.
  10. bassdays

Jul 30, 2001
    great player-good guy

11. I had the chance to know him and to exchange some words some months ago at a music fair.
    He's a really nice guy and he has been kind enough to let me try his two Foderas.
    I was really surprised about the setup of his basses: super light gauge strings with an extreme low action and a Gary Willis type of ramp between
    the pick-ups. You was obliged to play with a really light touch. Later I listened to him playing with a percussionist and of course such a setup is ok for his kind of music.

Fantastic musician and player.
    But I didn't buy his cd, perhaps too many notes for my taste.
  12. Really cool guy. Solid bass player. I also have his solo CD, its pretty cool. The production isnt very good and the compositions are average. But it is a fun CD to listen to and has a great vibe.
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    while at the bass exchange i picked up the solo cd. i think its pretty good. i dont think the production is as bad as people have mentioned. however for the 20 bucks it cost me i would have liked to see something better that the demo look it has. ive seen local bands put more professional looking cd's out.

i enjoyed the music for the most part though. it reminds me of the zawinul syndicate mixed with tunnels. bass player solo cd's are usually hard for me to like on the whole. the only cd ive like all the way through was gary willis' bent. victor bailey's low blow came close though if it wasnt for those couple of smooth jazz sounding tunes.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 yourself a flavor & check out Dave Holland's Prime Directive or anything by Ben Allsion.
    Bass-led('solo' cds)CAN be 'good'...;)

(Agree with you on Bent & Low 'bout Willis' No Sweat?).