Matthew Garrison - Shapeshifter

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassplayerdude, Aug 30, 2004.

1. bassplayerdude

Jan 23, 2003
    I received this album a few days ago and have been listening to it ever since. It really grows on you and more and more is revealed with each listen. Matt has a really unique compositional style and this album is a great development of the sound of his first album. The bass playing as usual is phenomenal. The solos are incredibly musical while still giving plenty of opportunity for Matt to show off his draw dropping technique. This is one of those really rare bass led albums that is actually an exciting and challenging musical statement. Highly recommended.
  2. I did an interview with Matt about this record that should hopefully be published on the TB homepage very soon - as soon as Paul cut and pastes it! I need to send him some pics so thanks for the little reminder - I agree with your review of the album - it's very, very good - and musically very deep, lots and lots going on, that means the first listen it doesn't all make sense - but three or even four listens in and you start hearing a lot of stuff, it's really cool.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I got it on Saturday, and really like it. There is a lot of sonic information there, that's for sure.

I also got the live cd/dvd set, but track one on the DVD skips. :( The rest of it is pretty amazing, though.

Good stuff from a great player.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just glanced at this and thought it said "Matthew Garrison - Shoplifter" at first.

brad cook
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too...both arrived Saturday. So far, I've only checked out the DVD(very 'home' movie-ish, but that's "OK").
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i got the CD/DVD "Live" album last night - it was nice, Gene Lake and Jim Beard are also my fav's too!

Matt has come a long way, he's a great player.
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im extremely dissapointed with the sound on the dvd. the singer might as well not be there and theres not enough kinsey. I WANT TO HEAR THE NORD.

otherwise its quite good. i definitely like the tunes that are more fleshed out than the ones that are kind of jammish. i havent even listened to shapeshifter yet as i got to the stars, DWB's transition,some steps ahead, and i just spent 100 bucks at amoeba on vinyl last week so im still absorbing :D
  8. I received the three Matt Garrison CDs the 09/28, they are all amazing.
    The quality of the DVD is 'home' yes, but don't forget that MG is self produced. It's not like the dave matthews band...

This music is really fresh, I mean, new, hard to ear often, love it.