Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matthew Seligman?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, Jul 21, 2002.

1. He played Bass on Thomas Dolby's, The Flat Earth, I really dig the bass on the song Screen Kiss. Does anyone know of any other recordings that Matthew Seligman played on? . I'm not crazy about Thomas Dolby but "The Flat Earth" album is really good IMHO.

2. Wibbley

Wibbley

Jul 17, 2002
    Banjo City
    I remember him mainly as a long-time member of the Soft Boys, but he has also played on loads of records by other, better-known artists.

3. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, I am amazed someone besides me has listened to the Flat Earth album!

Anyway, Seligman is an amazing fretless player. I wonder if he did a few songs on TFE on an upright bass, though. One bass magazine recently mentioned as an "up and coming" bass player. This surprised me a great deal when you figure TFE came out in the very early 80s.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    When I first got The Flat Earth it was on wax,and I wore the Grooves out.a recording that every Bass Player should own and attentively listen to.

5. Just resurrecting this old thread because I've been listening to Thomas Dolby's The Flat Earth recently and after not hearing it for may years I was immediately blown away by Matthew Seligmans tone, both fretted and fretless. In its remastered form on an ipod the clarity and punchiness of Seligmans tone is what makes the album for me. The fretless tone on Screen Kiss is just about perfect to my ears, as is the punchy slapped fretted line on the title track Flat Earth. Does anybody have any more info on this great bassist? Love to find out what basses he was using on the recording. I know he played with Bowie on the 1985 Live Aid gig and he played a fender jazz that time...

6. Billbassoz

Billbassoz

Jul 15, 2007
    I have loved The Flat Earth since it came out in the eighties and have been a fan of Matthew Seligman ever since. Sceen Kiss is beautiful. The double bass on I Scare Myself is equally impressive and I love the fuinky bass line on Hyperactive. I worked them all out at the time and it helped my development as a bass player a lot.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

8. Thanks for the discography info, I'll have to check out some of the other recordings!!:)

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Wow, I remember digging Seligman on The Flat Earth but I probably haven't listened to that album since the year it was released.

On a related note, Dolby's next album after that one, Aliens Ate My Buick has some absolutely killer bass playing by the late Terry Jackson. Some of the best bass tone and fat funky grooves ever recorded imho. Highly recommended.

10. MixBass

MixBass Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Both TFE and Aliens sound like they could have been made today. Great recordings with great writing and playing. Must have been that Dolby sound! Ha!

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't believe it!!!
    Thomas Dolby discussed on TB!!!
    Excellent!!!
    I got all his albums and am waiting for more!
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

12. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    He was in BowWowWow too. I saw then in a club, he wore a WWII Nazi hemet and played the **** out of a Wal.