1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Matti Honkonen of Swallow the Sun?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ayliffe, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I haven't seen much about him on here, but i think he's a super solid player and in the two times i've seen them play live, he didn't disappoint, so i was wondering how many STS fans we have here?

Swallow the Sun is a Doom band from Finland (For those who don't know Doom can be summed up as really slow Metal for the most part, usually with melancholic undertones). STS reminds me a lot of a slower Opeth, with a better (yes, better than Mikael Akerfeldt, i said it) vocalist.

Check out their albums; songs worth noting:

"The Giant" off of Ghosts of Loss

"Swallow" off of The Morning Never Came (Bass playing on this song is ****ing fantastic)

"Lights on the Lake" off of New Moon (ya they didn't think that one through very well)

and their 30 Minute Epic: "Plague of Butterflies"

Gear and **** can be found here:

http://www.swallowthesun.net/site/index.php?id=1378

2. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    I saw them open for Katatonia back in 2007, loved em then, love em now... Great band!! Met half those guys walking on the sunset strip the first night and the second night met them in the 99c store next to the venue.

3. STS are a great band, only just started getting into them when i discovered novembers doom and my dying bride but i really like them. although i have to disagree about mikael akerfeldt he is in my eyes the best at what he does.

4. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    He also won the Finnish bass solo championship in 2007 :eek:
    The guy on the left. :p

5. NEGRONOMOUS

NEGRONOMOUS

Mar 14, 2008
    I love Swallow the Sun. Got into the when they came over with Katatonia also back in '07. Matti is probably one of the few bassists who stick out when it comes to doom metal. His tone and basslines are always on point. Kinda disappointed I missed them on the Finnish Metal tour but theyre coming back in the fall with Katatonia again, cant wait! :hyper:

I'm more of a fan of their older material...New Moon has more black metal influences than doom metal imo but its still a great listen. Gotta say Hope is my favorite \m/

6. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    Negronomous, what dates did you catch them on in 07? I saw em at the whiskey and at showcase

7. NEGRONOMOUS

NEGRONOMOUS

Mar 14, 2008
    Cool! I caught them on 9/6 at BB Kings in NY

8. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Didn't know that. I had a hunch that he was a very technically proficient player, but i didn't know he was THIS technically proficient.