Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mattress Recommendations???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 1, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

after living in the city for the past 8 yrs. or so, i'm finally in a house, and realized i dont have to sleep on my futon anymore!

so, i'm off to find a mattress for the box spring that my friend / housemate left behind. there are SOOOO many to choose from, that its making my head spin.

what brand are you sleeping on? how's your night's rest?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    get that foam mattress bed

we got the whole set on special in town for $900

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Memory foam crap is amazing, ill never sleep on a spring mattress again after trying those (parents have one)

I sleep on a futon, comfortable as ****,cept the pad wears down after a while... i have a large flat spot in mine, yay, comfortable still though, just harder to get out of due to the gradient/sinkhole.

4. 1-800-mattres

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I can't remember what we got. Definitely shop around though. Spend as much time as possible laying on all the ones in your price range and pick the one you like the most. Some other things to consider though:

If it's a spring mattress consider getting one that has extra supportive springs on the edges where you often sit on the edge of the bed to put shoes on and whatnot.

The thicker the pillow top the more indented it will eventually become.

"Flippable" mattresses are pretty much a crock. It doesn't matter if it's flippable or not.

Another thing to consider (if you are shopping for a mattress for two) is how much does it move when the other person moves. The one we got barely moves at all when my wife or I get into and out of bed because each springs is isolated or something.

That's all I can think of now.

brad cook

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have a Temper-pedic mattress. It is the most awesome mattress that I have ever slept on. They are expensive, but came with a 90 day in home trial. If someone is that sure you will like it to give you a 90 day trial they are pretty sure you won't give it back :)

7. my mattress is a sleeping bag on the ground. Sleeping on the ground is great.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ... and i swear, if you sing the song... :scowl:

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, that's where most peeps have been pointing me. pricey, no?

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My matress is a Restonic brand.... The Maximus, I is what they call it.... it is from their health rest collection

It is the BEST matress I have ever slept on... Occasionally, I come home and my mom or one of my sisters will be napping on my bed... its that comfortable.

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Check out the Fender custom shop... they have some killer models.

...Seriously, don't get a water bed if you own a frisky dog. My puppy once ripped out the cap from my water mattress and proceeded to flood my room by jumping up and down on th now-punctured bed.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also don't get a water bed if you're not living in the eighties. Do they even sell those anymore?

brad cook

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

LMAO!!!!!

Dude, you just got me busted by my boss looking at TB, again!!!

you crack me up!

14. I'd jump on the Tempur-Pedic if the money situation works out. I've tried them out a bunch of times- they seem to really be more comfortable than the average bear. I've got big time back problems and I was actually comfortable.

I currently have a Serta Perfect Sleeper. I love it. Not as much as I'd love a Tempur-Pedic.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We bought a Stearns and Foster mattress, and it is awesome. We put one of those memory foam mattress pads on top of it. I like to sleep anyway, but now it is even harder to get out of bed! :D

-Mike

16. our mattress has those little, claymation sheep on it. it rules. it's the most comfortable bed in which i've ever slept.

robb.

17. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    The Temper-pedic 10" Queen size was around $1800. It has a 20 year warranty, so it should last for a while :) anyway I research the crap out of anything that I purchase, and I did this as well. I couldn't find a negative review. My wife was in an automobile accident and her back and neck were injured and sleeping was misery (and not because I am in the bed :smug: ) but a chiropractor we knew said it would be good for her. So after researching I bit the bullet last year and man I have never slept better. It sounds like an infomercial, but I often wake up in the same position that I laid down in, no rolling or tossing all night! And I never have that "just body slammed" feeling anymore. You know when you wake up and an arm is asleep and you feel like you fell four stories onto pavement :D She never wakes up hurting anymore either. My old grandfather who lived to 91 said "a man should buy the best mattress he can afford because he's gonna spend 1/3 of his life on it." Anyway if you can stomach the big cash outlay you'll sleep good for the next 10 or 20 years. Ok I'm done. :D

18. Especially to potential bedwetters. :p

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

cool humble,

find any info on the more affordable 8 inch "classic"??

20. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I couldn't find anything negative about the 8" and it would probably be perfectly fine. It was cheaper here by about $200 if I remember correctly, but one of my motto's is that "I have never regretted buying up." I have regretted buying down in a vehicle, bass or whatever, but I have never looked back and said man I wish I had not have gotten the power windows! :) If it was between an 8" Temper and anything else, I would take the Temper in a heartbeat.