Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt's at it again!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Feb 3, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    From the Fbb website:

Like it a lot!!! Dammit!! Matt's gonna be getting a lot of my money soon if I don't watch out!!!!

2. wow, he's getting a lot better.

3. Never liked that huge top overhang, but understand that it is good for a multi-string bass.

Matt Schmill's work seems absolutely excellent to me. Pete McFerrin has a 5 fretted and I think a 4 fretless from him, if you wanna ask questions.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    DAMN!!! That's my favorite FBB 6er so far! I'm still gassing for that 7 he's had for a while, but alas, college keeps me poor! So Mark, you gonna try to head to ATL? :D Hopefully Mark and I will be bringing 4 FBBs up from Mobile.

5. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Very nice bass! I like the way it adhere's to his other designs and still manages to be a single cut. And, the headstock shape is great. For me, headstocks are very difficult to design. Nice!

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    the headstock and body actually looks pretty decent to my eyes now!!

Good work Matt!

DM

7. Hey hey,
    That is one of the nicest FBBs I have seen yet.

Real nice.

Geoff

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've been digging this one:
    [​IMG]

9. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I was over Matt's workshop last week and I didn't see that beauty. There were a few 4's and 5's (Mark's 8 too) but that extended design is starting to grow on me.

I think he's still waiting on the Agie ODB 3 to drop in a coupla buckeye burls, which means he's working on my #66. We just hand selected some nice Wenge/Maple/Purpleheart for the neck with a Sweet slab of Phillipine Ebony for the board.

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I still GAS for that 7 single-cut that he has on the website... I wonder if the 8 fretless is still available?

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought you meant that "Stupid Matt" had changed his name again !!! ;)

12. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yeah, that one is a beauty. So is the one at the top of your post. I've never seen that one before. All this talk of FBB's is making the G.A.S. level rise for mine (#65.)

13. I'm getting a bit bloated myself from all the gas. I just picked out the top for mine (#67) It's a bookmatched crotch of cocobolo that is ASTOUNDING!

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WOW!!!!

Nice!!!!

15. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    That is going to be a very stunning top. Excellent choice.

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    [​IMG]

I'm sure that's Xush 8 strings bass right here in the bottom left end of the pic.... :D

So Xush, When is the bass coming to you??

Peace, JP

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yep, that's mine. He's waiting on the Aggie and the tuners I believe, then it's go time. He said it should be ready by the Atlanta GTG...

18. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Jon,

That is an extremely choice piece of Cocobolo. I had my eyes on that curvaceous crotch (pun intended) until Matt pulled out a piece that was not as curled, slightly lighter color overall and has some light figuring to it. The following piece will be the top for #66.

[​IMG]

The two other woods are my choices for a fingerboard. Shedua is closest to the Coco and the middle one is a nicely grained phillipine ebony. The ebony is a better match since the Shedua has a greenish tint to it.

I've been agonizing over the neck wood choices since Maple is too light of a contrast and the Jatoba he has is kinda like the Shedua, It just doen't match that orange Cocobolo color. I have not been impressed with purpleheart when its coupled with Walnut or other brown woods, but Matt threw a coupla Maple stringers next to Wenge mains and a bloodwood center and it just hit me right. I understand you have a slightly different configuration, but with the same woods. I think I'll opt for maple veneer rails to offset the coco and wenge a bit.

All in all, Matt's been great to deal with. I'm hoping the OBD 3 comes in soon so I can play that with some Barts he has in a bass.

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    That sounds really good.
    Glad to hear you're going for some wenge. I love that stuff!

Top is going to be awesome! Hidden neck-thru, or not?

20. Yeah I was looking at your piece (NO pun intended ;-) until Matt told me that it was taken. Yours had a very nice spiderweb figuring on it that looked very nice. I had to see some closeups of the boards available before I became dead set on that crotch piece, which had the curl and burl that I wanted as opposed to a straight grain. I'm also rather partial to the darker red coco as opposed to the more orangey stuff.

I had a pretty good idea what I wanted before I started. I'm going with a wenge neck with a center of flamed maple and bloodwood and maple offsetting the wenge. There'll be rails of maple in between the coco and wenge. I'm getting the macassar fingerboard as well, and since I love the stuff so well, I'm getting a neck cap of macassar on the backside as well as a headstock cap of coco.

The body's gonna be a 5 piece coco-wenge-mahogany-wenge-coco. I'm getting wood just thinking about it!

Let me know when you test drive that bass with the Aggie OBP3. I'm getting one dropped in too, and I'd like to hear your opinion of it.

Shot of the glued-up neck below.