Maturing the bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bethelbass1, Oct 29, 2004.

1. I recently bought a new bass (one of the Bulgarian basses offered of "all hail" Bob Gollihur's website). I love the instrument given the price, but Now that I have it, I want the bass' sound to mature as quickly as possible.
    My teacher told me to play ugly doublestops (m2 and M7s) as loud as I can. he admits that this is superstition, but I'll try anything that's not harmful to improve my instrument.
    Do you have any knowledge or experience regarding this?
    Is it all just superstition or is there some truth to the practice mentioned above? Is it even possible to speed of bass maturity?

I appreciate your help
  2. Contra|Brett|

Oct 6, 2004
    All I know is to play it alot
  3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Tell us more about Bob's bass, we have all seen it on his great web site but don't often get to hear from someone that owns one. I for one, would be very interested in hearing what you think of it, and how you think it compares to other basses you may have tried.
  4. The bass is great for the price. I had been shopping for a decent bass for the past year before I bought it this summer. My first bass was a piece of junk from ebay. It played relativley well because the top was very thin, but the sound post left a nice indent in the top and back. The other basses I tried out I didn't like as much as this bass and they were older and cost up to $8,000
    Bob's bass, after some set up, (It only cost me $60 at Groth music near the Twin Cities) including dressing the fingerboard and adjusting the height of the strings, the only things I can really complain about are the tuning pegs and the bridge. They don't turn very well and the A string peg barely turns at all. Bob replaced my A string peg for free. The bridge also seems a little low, but I was planning on putting in adjusters anyway so it really isn't that big of a problem (Bob also agreed to send me another bridge, if I needed it!).

As far as soud goes, the bass is fairly loud and it sounds new (whiny tone) but is maturing quickly. The top and back, unlike my other bass, are very thick which makes the bass really heavy. My teacher always complains every time he uses it to demonstrate something. I personally like the weight and thickness. The bass feels solid and probably will not have too many problems with humidity changes during seasons.
    For the low price that Bob is selling them for, I would say the bass is great. I would recommend it not only to begginers, but as and intermediate or even upper level student bass. You just have to invest in it and show a little love now and then.

All hail Bob Gollihur
    He is doing a great service for the bass community
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You just gotta spend time on the thing.
  6. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I've heard of some guys who plug a new bass into an amp, let it start feeding back and go on vacation. I've also heard of a more scientific method that vibrates the top over an extended period. I think Bob B. knows about it.
  7. This has been discussed at length in the past. I just can't remember which forum the thread was in. I seem to remember that the general concensus was that vibration caused by feedback, low frequency speakers, etc., was not significant enought to really affect the bass. Of course, I may be wrong about that.
  8. Here's a thread that addresses the concept. Read down a few posts to where the discussion of Strobel's ideas begins.
  9. Very interesting thread! Perhaps it is more than superstition that playing ugly intervals does make the instrument "open up" .
    When I play the double stops the bass seems to vibrate more than when I play a single stopped note, or even a consonant double stop. I may be wrong, but at least I am giving the instrument "a good playing".