Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maui suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by baba, Aug 24, 2005.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'm headed to Maui soon and need some suggestions. I went a couple times about 15-20 years ago and stayed in Lahaina and Kaanapali. We're staying at a beach house in Kehei (sp) this time. I'll definitely be doing some scuba diving, will cruise Hana Hwy, and visit Haleakala. Anyone in the know regarding Maui? I need more ideas as well as some off the beaten path and non-touristy suggestions. Help a brother out!

2. If you want to do a lot of "excursions" cheap, find a time share place that gives 1/2 off on all the stuff you want to do. Set your watch alarm for 90 min (or whatever long they say it lasts) and be firm about leaving on time, they'll badger you to death to sign up. And remember, DON'T SIGN UP!

We did paragliding, parasailing, scuba diving, helicopter rides etc all for 1/2 off.

Kihei if I remember right was pretty built up, lots to do. Went back in 99, I think we stayed at Kaanipali area, but visited Kihei.

Check out the road to Hana, I believe it's on Maui, right? Cool drive, lots of waterfalls, check out the 7 pools of Hana. Great romantic spot. Check rental car agreement, they may prohibit that trip. We rented a jeep, I think it was allowed then. Or we ignored restrictions.

Molokini crater was great dive site by the way, but I'm sure they're all good out there.

Randy

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Anything that gets you on or in the water is a good thing. You can probably guess from my icon why Maui is about my favorite vacation spot. :cool: I've been 3 times now, spending 30 days there. I want to take a few surfing lessons next time, but the windsurfing always distracts me cause I already am accomplished at that.

There are a few Talkbassers playing there regularly. Check out Jerry (that's his full user name, but lower case) and Marcus Johnson and see if they're gigging when you'll be there. Jerry was cool, we hung out for a while one evening at his gig in Makawao.

We spent a few hours at Haleakala birding, which is fabulous if you swing that way. Just inside the park entrance there's a turnoff that gets you to the prime spot.

I usually spend the majority of my time on the north shore and upcountry, which is generally much less touristy. The wind can make the beaches annoying, and the swimming dicey though, so go early in the day if that's part of your agenda. That's generally good advice for anything on the water on either side of the island, IME. You don't need to do a boat dive to get some great snorkeling, there are killer spots all along the south shore. Go to one of the dive shops, they all have maps and good advice.

Paia, Haiku, and Makawao all have some gems, especially for food and drink. Margaritas at Milagro's in Paia are da bomb, truly world class. The art galleries in Makawao are pretty fun too. Fish tacos at the little stand in Haiku at the cannery mall reWl, and a cheap meal or two never hurts, eh? You can get killer fresh fish in Paia at the little Japanese grocery store next to the fish market, and there are a few good health food stores in Paia and Kahului.

The west mountains are worth the trip too. There are a lot of contrasts going on for such a small island. Hope you have a blast! We got bumped on the flight back, so I'll be heading over again sometime next spring...which fails to suck!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I recommend possibly going to a beach while you're there.

brad cook

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Good call. Thanks.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great, thanks for all the tips! I'm digging the fish taco and other suggestion in Paia. I did visit Paia years ago and remember it as a windsurfing mecca.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, make sure you get all your pronounciations down pat. All those words that end in a, aa, au, aua, uau, and so on can get confusing. You'll look like a total dork when you say them wrong.

-Mike

8. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I used to live in Hawaii and love and respect the land and it's people - this is some advise for visitors to Maui
    Definitely Kaanapali- rent a convertable - it's a must. DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE ON MAUI - cops look out for this closely. Do not speed on Maui - this is another great way of meeting the boys in blue. Spring the money for a full island helicopter tour - Black something helis is the best (can't remember the name.
    Best Restaurants:
    Nick's Fishmarket (personally I would eat there every night)
    The Swan Court at the Hyatt
    Roy's (two locations- both great)

Stay ON the beaten path unless you have a local friend.
    Visit the Mall right outside the airport - it's a fun place.
    That's all I have time for..
    Aloha

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Why is this? To prevent an ass kicking or something? I've heard there's a bit of negativity towards the mainlanders.

I am very traveled and am used to steering away from the beaten path to actually experience the culture better. It's sad to think I can go to another country and dig way beneath the surface but I can't in my home country.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I experienced that when I was in Lihue and Kapaa.

-Mike

11. Wouldn't being on the Beaten path mean you WANT a beating? Shouldn'y you stay OFF the Beaten path and stay ON the UNbeaten path?

Just askin?

Randy

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Brah, all you gotta learn is kamoniwannalaya and likalottakahlua - haha.

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

This is the problem...people here feel that this IS another country - Hawaii has been trying to get it's sovereignty back for years.

http://www.hawaii-nation.org/

Don't miss the 7 falls at Hana.

14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Shoulda called me for backup man. What happened exactly if you care to tell? I hope you didn't honk your horn while driving your rental car or something, hehe.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had a hard time renting a surfboard for one thing that I remember. The guy running the shop wanted to charge me fees to rent that came out to more than buying one.

I went to play golf at Princeville after my buddy who lives in Lihue hooked me up with a tee time. I was not treated the way that is normal when someone plays a course like that. Other than that, it was nothing major.

-Mike

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Take a boat ride to the half island place over there... go scooba there... screw diving the boat ride is the funner part:) I was there at a good time though... around christmas/new years so it was 10x better... got to see a whale almost flip our boat...

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Interesting - that Princeville course is usually in the top 10 in the country. That's waaaaay out of my league - I've only played a couple times and we go to the Wailua one just because you can play for around $12 - but that's only with the 'kamaaina discount'. It's a shame but that's the deal in Hawaii, as soon as you bust out your out-of-state license...here comes the cold shoulder and higher prices. The people are super nice in general but there's always a few bad apples.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Princeville is a top course in the country, Hawaii included. :D

Hey, the same thing happened to me in Las Vegas. Apparently, if you are a Las Vegas resident, you can play golf for less. We went to a course not too long ago with a friend who lives there. He paid a fraction of what we did. I asked the course marshall what the deal was, and he said that locals pay less when they show their drivers license.

Overall, I love everything about Hawaii. I won't let a few grouchy locals ruin that.

-Mike

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My brother and I were in Maui sometime in 83 or 84........anyway, being a couple of long hairs that we are (and obviously sticking out as tourists), these two Hawaiian dudes approached us assumed that we were dope smokers, which we weren't. Well, these two kept following us around, persistently trying to sell us some weed.

After roughly a half-hour trying to get rid of these dudes, one of them asks my brother "where you guys from anyway?", to which my brother replies "New York". Being this was the time period that Bernard Goetz was shooting up the NYC subways (ala Charles Bronson style) these guys must have figured that "New York" meant NYC, which meant psycho subway shooter which meant they were gonna get shot if they kept trying to peddle us some weed.

You never saw two guys take off so quickly in your life.

20+years later and I still chuckle over that one.

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That's the Molokini crater. I did that about 15-20 years ago. It's a nice trip but an EXTREMELY popular dive spot, even then - which makes it a pretty lame dive spot.

The humpback whales are very cool. I may have to do one of those catamaran trips again to see some.