Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Max 700 vs. 700RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Go for the GK 700RB

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Get the Max 700

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Dont know anything about either

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Which one do you prefer? What are the pros and cons for each, it's doen to these two heads for me and I need your advice. I'm hungry for all the watts I can get, but heard GKs sound awesome. Is the bi-amp feature all that useful? Will someone please explain to me how this works?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    In order to use the GK bi-amp feature you must have a bi-ampable cab that uses speakon cables. The seperate tweeter amp sends 50 watts to the horn and the woofer amp sends out the signal to the woofer. The two volumes are independer of each other and will not bleed across into the others driver. This makes for a much cleaner sound with less chance of distortion due to breakup. You can add as much highs as you can stand without turning up actual speaker volume. depending on the style of music you play determines the usefulness of this feature. It's another reason I got a GK1001RB.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hey, I've got the 700RB-II which is a serious tone machine but honestly without a GK cab the biamp feature is pretty much useless. BUT, that means squat because you don't need to use the tweeter amp at all. The tweeter just runs off the woofer amp and is attenuated by the control for the tweeter, at least on my Avatar it all works perfectly and sounds amazing. Plus the GK growl factor is amazing, it adds growl to any bass. For example I played a Peavey Cirrus 4 Bubinga through a GK400Rb and a Peavey 700 and the Peavey head made it sound very smooth and jazzy, but the GK made it sound growly and aggressive. Neither one is bad, just different. Good luck bud, I chose the GK but you may love a smoother Peavey tone.

4. It really depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. I've owned GK, and currently I own Peavey. I like the sound of Peavey's newer equipment better then ALOT of stuff out there. THe FIrebass and Max 700 are both excellent, high powered heads. That being said, the GK is going to sound REALLY unique next to pretty much any other bass amp - they really have their own sound. You either like it or you don't. It was too clean for me. The Peavey will sound like other bass amps...it really doesn't have a tone unique to itself. The GK will give you a massive growly/grindy sound when pushed, and more of a thin sound when not pushed... The Peavey will give you tons of low bass, and a ton of midrange punch when paired w/ a Peavey 4x10 like the 410TVX (but still retain smoothness). The Peavey isn't really a growl machine. The Peavey in my opinion has a more natural smooth bass sound...the GK has a more aggressive in your face sound.

5. I heard in a rack space, that if you have a head in it, youre supposed to leave a space inbetween that and another component (ie a tuner) so the head can breathe. Is this true?

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If the fan is on the top and ventillates upwards, then yes.

I now have a GK Backline 250, and looking for a 700RB-II used; the GK tone is good out of the box (eq set flat) - clear and punchy, with a bit of growl, but you can set it to warmer, softer, too.

7. Does the Gk pump oyt 700 watts if its not biamped? On the back, above the 1/4" jacks, it says 540W only. Whats up with that?

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    There are two versions of the 1001rb head. I have the old head and it has 540 watts @4ohms, the new model has 700 watts@4ohms.

9. 700RB = 380W + 50W
    700RB-II = 480W + 50W
    1001RB = 540W + 50W
    1001RB-II = 700W + 50W

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Dan,

I know you're probably the wrong person to ask, because you're a GK company guy, but is 50w REALLY enough to drive a 2x10 for mid/upper ranges over 500-700w on the bottom?

I always thought the rb800 seemed to have a better top/bottom power ratio... ie 100/300.

11. The 50 watts drives the tweeter only. 5k and above. The main amplifier is full range and drives the woofers. A single 4 pin speakon cable caries two seperate signals to a single cabinet and bypasses the internal passive crossover.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    AH, ok. So you pretty much need a cab w/ the tweeter wired seperately,,, like GK cabs are...

Somehow, I think I knew that but it scrolled out of my brains cache memory.