Max Headroom simulator?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rodent, Mar 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    anybody know of a software app or webpage that has a decent Max Headroom simulator? ideally you would type in a phrase via text, and the app would generate a audio/video file with Max stuttering his way thru it. the a/v files could then be shared for endless hours of customized Maxertainment

Indiedog and Mktrat like this.
  2. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you just trying to prove to that guy that started a thread about there being repetition here on TB that he is wrong?

But seriously, I am not aware of something like this but as a fan of the show, I am c-c-curious t-t-too!

Sub'd!

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    no idea about that thread @Indiedog - my quest comes from a customer meeting I had earlier today, where I need to send a video file on how to do a specific task. I'd love it if Max was able to handle all of the dialog instead of me doing a voice over :D

S-Bigbottom and Indiedog like this.
  4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Other than this, I've got nuthin'

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a phone app

6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
  7. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I was just being silly...here is that thread:
    Starting to find repeats here on TB

I think your idea is most excellent. Having a bit of fun gets the point across to the client in a great way.

8. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

No idea either, but as an aside ; did you know....

In the UK, we didn't have MTV - it was this mythical, amazing idea, that only existed in America (the only way to get MTV over here, was to have a colossal satellite dish, and a hugely expensive contract - which only a few hundred people in the country had, or could get planning permission for).

Max Headroom was the UK's answer to MTV (Channel 4 had a strong visual aesthetic, that borrowed heavily from Ridley Scott's used future, as seen in Alien, and Blade Runner, and their own show Network 7 would radically reshape live, youth, and magazine TV).

There was a TV movie, that sets up the character of Max Headroom, and culminated with him being unleashed on the world - from then on, each weekend we'd basically have a condensed version of MTV, with Max as the VJ.

It lasted a couple of seasons, and he hosted a live episode of legendary music show The Tube, but unfortunately there was a TV engineers strike that evening, so it happened live, but wasn't broadcast.

Max Headroom went on to get his own talk show, and appeared on the single version of Paranoimia, by The Art of Noise.

After that, he sort of disappeared - though Matt Frewer had cemented his place in UK pop culture - until for some weird reason, almost 10 years after the fact, Max Headroom became a hit in America.

The TV movie got remade, almost shot for shot, with the same basic aesthetic, the original lead actors, but an otherwise American cast.

Obviously there was no point in going the MTV route, so it expanded in to a weird sort of crime show, carrying on with those characters in that world.

It was quite strange to see, when it got imported back to the UK, in the mid 90's.

When DVDs, and digital recorders became de facto, at the turn of the millennium, blipverts really took off - with pages of data sprayed at you in a split second, which you could then scroll through at leisure.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody exploded as a result.

MattZilla, Rodent and Indiedog like this.
  9. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow. I had no idea! Thanks!

Wood and Wire likes this.
  10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    when watching the Back to the Future trilogy with my dad in the early 90s, #2 featured a scene with either Max or something similar and pops, a lifelong rural east coast resident, chuckled and said that that guy was in commercials and had a show in the 80s.

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The world wasn't ready for Max Headroom. Will it ever be? Maybe someday...

12. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I loved watching Max. I didn't have, or want, a TV in those days (though people kept trying to give me one), but for Max I'd make a special exception and go visit my parents and watch their TV. Loved how Max would often ridicule the ads that were about to play, much like Alfred Hitchcock has done a generation earlier. And I think I kind of wanted to be a Blank.

And then one day it was gone, without warning.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Just keep in mind that the actor who played Max, Matt Frewer, is in a ton of excellent roles, and always elevates the material.

Notably:

• Stephen King's The Stand (1994 Miniseries) - Trash Can Man
    • Orphan Black - Dr. Leekie
    • Altered Carbon - Carnage
    Too many others to mention, but those three really stand out for me. I'm a huge Frewer fan.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Cool thread. I forgot all about Max Headroom.
    Super appropriate subject and name on a bass guitar forum.

I'll put Max in my band with Robin Wattage.

-Mike

15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Max R-r-r-r-AWKS!

16. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    So now I'm curious ; it sounds as if Max Headroom was around in America in the 1980's, doing a proto-Beavis & Butthead for commercials... Is that correct?

So did you get the remade TV movie the first time round, or was the character unleashed on America in some other way?

Or was that only to launch the 1990's serious drama series?

Did it not seem weird in America, that he'd been an 80's satire phenomenon, that disappeared, and then got resurrected in an odd, conspiracy/investigative journalism/corporate crime drama of the week, for grownups?

17. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
  18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I do recall that, and yeah, it was strange.

19. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

So, having just looked at IMDB, this makes a bit more sense now...

The "90's" show, as I incorrectly identified it, was actually the 1987-88 show you guys had in America - that explains why it seemed anachronistic, and somewhat dated, when it was eventually broadcast in the UK, in 1996.

In hindsight, it was ahead of it's time for the mid/late 80's (I wish they had shown it here back then).

So America was actually only a few years behind the UK, with regards to Max's arrival.

The info on IMDB is slightly inaccurate, but anyway, when you guys were enjoying the drama series (which is kind of a logical extension of the TV movie), we'd had the MTV style show, and moved on to his talk show phase - I guess it would have been really weird, and kind of a hard sell, to suddenly do a U-turn and go the serialised drama route.

farace likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021