max input volume very low (reaper, firebox)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gearwhine, Jul 7, 2008.

1. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    I'm running through the direct out on my amp, to the firebox, through firewire, and through reaper (I've also ran direct into the firebox forgetting my amp). I can put all the output volumes high, yet the input levels on the track in reaper won't get hot. I know I may not want the level to be hot...but I find it odd that I can't get there if I wanted it to. Then playback is also very low...I barely see any sound waves through the recording bar. I have my bass volume all the way up and the direct out all the way up...which is already a bad sign from what I'm thinking. I'm probably hitting -40 to -35 max input volume.

What can I do to raise the input volume, or to check to make sure all is good? I really am at a loss...it just doesn't seem right. Also...if it seems like I don't know what I'm talking about....I don't. Thanks for the help. -Nick

2. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    you need a pre-amp. Preferably tube.

3. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    Isn't that what the direct out on an amp accomplishes, just by-passing the poweramp?

4. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    kind of. but if it's not working, it's because the preamp in your amp isn't good enough. I'm presuming you're using a practice amp for this?

doesn't the firebox come with cubase LE? If so, try it out in that, and see if the problem continues...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/tube-mp/67655

5. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    sorry for not providing full info...using a GK 1001RB-II. If that's not good enough, I don't know what is. :)

No Cubase LE. Bought the firebox used and downloaded the drivers off the webpage.

I had this thing working a few months back at proper volumes...maybe I should've mentioned that. I just this morning realized that SP1 on Vista could be causing problems since the drivers are Pre-SP1. Going to uninstall that when i get home and see what happens.

Thanks for the link and the help so far.

6. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    sorry - i didn't read your first post properly, noticed that you had the same problem DI'ing the bass without the amp. and Yes, the GK should definitely suffice lol.

which version of Reaper are you using? perhaps you should try reinstalling that before rolling back on a service pack.

also, sorry about the 5 hour delay...

edit: what's your input volume set to on the amp? You've said that you've upped the direct output volume, but not said anything about pre-gain

7. theix

theix

Apr 6, 2008
    Tokyo
    Have u tried selecting +12dB on the Mic/Line inputs in the Firebox control settings?

8. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    Input/gain volume is halfway at the moment...which is already more than I like using. I usually play with it at ~1/4 and turn the speaker up.

I'm using the newest version of reaper...installed the other day. Just redownloaded and reinstalled yesterday. no luck.

I don't believe I've selected the +12dB. I will check that out when I get home.

I'll try the firebox settings, if no dice still, I'll try rolling back SP1.

No worries on the delay...take as long as you want/need to respond, i'm in no rush.

-nick

9. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    OK, I'm noticing some stuff isn't really working/I don't know how to work it. The +12dB did absolutely nothing for any input...tried all 4.

Just going to go ahead and remove SP1 for now...it's easy enough to get back if it doesn't help any.

10. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    I got SP1 removed, and got to play for a few minutes before heading out. It appears that did the trick from the small sample I recorded. A saved .wav file was nearly silent before. Recording again after SP1 removal with same levels, volume sounded great. I can also get input levels hot, it also appears to sound cleaner after removal. I'm happy enough again.

The +12dB still doesn't seem to do anything though. :)

So my prelim conclusion....don't install SP1 on vista using a firebox.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021