Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Max power from my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Mar 24, 2002.

1. I am getting the Gallien Krueger 1001RB. Its 540W at 4 ohms. I'm getting a 212 to start, and then eventually a 410 or something of the sort. Now, to make sure I get the max power from my amp, I would want to get both cabs at 8 ohms, right? It would just mean that I would get only 340W for awhile, until I get my other cab. (This is what the head puts out at 8 ohms). Am my right on this, just wanted to make sure before hand.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK I'll bite!!! Yeah, if you want to get max power out with 2 cabs then get 2 8Ohm cabs and make sure that they're wired in parallel. Normally daisy chaining them from one output achieves this, as 2 8 Ohm cabs in parallel results in a 4 Ohm load.

Have you ever thought about getting one 4 ohm cab that can handle the power??? Just a thought!!!

Oh yeah, if the amp puts out 340W at 8 Ohms then that'll be what you get with one 8 Ohm cab.

3. I did think about getting a 4 ohm cab to start, but then when I get another one, I won't have max power, so, I'll just deal with the 340 watts for now. I'm sure it won't be too terrible. =)

4. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    even at 8 ohms, you'll have plenty of headroom on the gk.