1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Max string spread. How to?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bajerovaquero, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Hello to everybody!
    I´m building this BAdaSS:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705713

I bought Bartolini CBJD 59 bass enchanced
    As you can see the pup configuration is kind of thumb bass style.
    But I´m not sure the pups can cover the string spread, since are really close to the bridge and they are angled.

Thats what I found on Bartolini´s site:

The most common widths are:
    66mm,
    70-72mm and
    76mm total string width at the bridge.
    :confused:

I was wondering about the max string spread at the pups in this model.
    Is there any way of estimate it?

I mean I dont want to finish the bass, plug it and get a wimp tone on the 1st and 5th string, and then have to re-route, blah blah blah

Thanks for the help and apologies for the bad english:bawl:
    :bassist:

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What bridge are you using? Measure from the low to high string, and that's your string spread.

76mm = 3". If you are wider than that, then you need different pickups.

I can already see from the photos on that thread that the pickups are not wide enough. They are probably 4 string pickups.

3. Bartolini 59 CBJD are 5 string pickups and yes, they look like 4 strings:eyebrow:

I´m using a single string bridge, with five strings spaced 18mm so there is 72mm of string spread ON BRIDGE, Applause;)
    Tecnically thats covered... in the standard JB position?
    The bridge pup is angled, in its treble side is 35mm to bridge in bass side 45mm which is closer than standard.

I was wondering about string spread OVER the pickup, for example my Jazz Bass has 59mm on bridge but 54 over the neck pup, and it seems some pickups are very sensitive to string spread...

Thanks for responding!

BTW awesome pup design man:)

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Oh yeah... my Jazz pickups also work on narrow five strings, so 3" isn't out of the question. I wasn't thinking... :meh:

The placement of the pickups doesn't matter as long as the spacing over them is good. The strings get narrower towards the nut.

Just measure over the pickup:

spacing.

If you don't have the strings on yet, use a straight edge. I like to draw this stuff out before I start building.

Thanks, and you're welcome!