Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maxima Chrome Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by camoe, Nov 2, 2001.

1. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Anyone ever try these? There's no way I'm gonna spend $80 for the maxima golds, but I'd be willing to try the Chromes. What's the tension on these like? My favorite sounding strings are currently TI nickel round wounds (smooth warm tone on the smoothest string I've ever felt...slide city), but...I would like a higher tension (for speed) and better sound for the occasional slap, and that brings me to search for a different string. I've got TI Magnecores (Rock Bass) strings on order (higher tension than the nickels) but they are still $45 bucks a shot and I'm interested in trying those maximas out if I here anything good. Thanks,

Peace!

2. can't give you any insite on the Chromes but i just restrung my peavey with a set of light gauge golds and it freakin' sings, i love em'

3. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Damn it...stop tempting me to spend that much money on strings...your gonna kill my budget...baby might not get new shoes this month ;-) Seriously, what's the tension like on the golds? How long have they lasted on a 2 hour a day playing factor? Do you know how they compare to Thomastiks? I haven't played a smoother sounding string yet, and I've played a lot of 'em. Have I asked enough stupid questions? Will I shut up already? Thanks man.

Peace Out!

4. the tension is really good considering the light gauge. i've never played the thomastiks so i can't say anything about them but the golds are really really smooth. they've lasted great and i play hard on em' for about 4 hours a day at least. they were never too bright but not too mellow and they still sound the same after 1 week. if you're on a budget i wouldn't buy the golds but i'm sure the chromes are of a pretty high quality also i just can't say how they sound.