Maximizing Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonrutoo, Mar 27, 2005.

1. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    I need to know the basic elements of maximizing volume with an all tube amp.
    I need to know what speaker loads are the most efficient,the effect of preamps on volume,and any other mundane facts you can offer.
    Thank you for your time.
  2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The most efficient speaker load is usually done with a buddy or a roadie. Preamps make the volume more...loud. The world's largest animal ever to have existed is the blue whale.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

...That's pretty mundane.

Unless yer a blue whale.

Got Krill?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    from what i understand, the impedance wont really matter with a tube amp as long as you select the impedance you're using (which you should do anyway with a tube amp.

preamps won't really increse your maximum volume as that's determined by the poweramp section and the efficency, voicing, and surface area of the cabinets used. however, the inherent voicing of the preamp and eq adjustments can sometimes affect the apparent percieved volume of the rig, particularly if you cut the lows and boost a bit of mids.

lisbon is the capitol of portugal. the muon was a very unexpected particle when it was first discovered. my middle name is michael.
  5. i don't believe so. i've found if i wanna squeeze out a lot more of my amp, i prettymuch turn the mids down, turn the bass down, and move the treble on up. it works, and it cuts through
  6. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Mids are the last thing you wanna turn down if you want more volume. ;)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Mids are your friend, for cutting through.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ok, I see you have a 400+ for an amp. Unlike most solid state amps which work with different wattages into different ohm loads, your amp has 3 sets of speaker outs. The amp will put out the same 300 watts into 2,4, and 8 ohm rigs. Once again, low lows take lots of power to produce, so if you reduce the low end and add mids (some highs if you like too) then you can increase your 'precieved volume by emphasizing the parts of the tone that the human ear hears the best and maybe giving your amp a little more headroom. If you're only playing with 1 cab, you could think of adding a second. Remember more speaker surface does give you more volume.

You must be playing with a REALLY loud band or you may have cabinet problems if you can't hear yourself well with that amp.
  9. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Run out and grap a copy of Aspen Pittman's The Tube Amp Book, 4th edition. It'll tell you more than you thought you wanted to know, written by the founder/owner of Groove Tubes. Lots of info on all things tube, including how certain preamp circuits and passive tone controls function--it even comes with classic (including old Ampeg!) tube amp schematics and layouts on CD-ROM.
  10. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Okay,you caught me;I'm actually asking this for the sake of a guitar amp(ducks).
    BTW,OT-It's been a while since I last posted,and I have traded my 400+ and an Epiphani T115 for a NOS Mesa/Boogie Buster 200 1x15 combo.
    In short,I decided to build my own band from scratch for frustration with overgunned musicians.I want the Boogie sound,but have an odd love/lust for monolithic combos;thus the Buster.
    My drum set up is Classic Birch Ludwigs:20x18,13x11,10x8.Dunnett Classic Ti Snare 13x6.5,Paiste Signatures' Dry Dark ride 20",MKI Dark Energy crash 15",Micro hats 10",and various effects.
    My guitar set up is a THD Univalve with a 6550 and a Bag End S15-B with a replacement speaker I have yet to determine.FX are a RMC-3 wah,and Mesa/Boogie V-Twin I originally got for my bass set up.
    I guess my question has been rendered to what makes an efficient speaker?
    I needed your input so I knew what questions to ask further.I thank you all,because at least now I have a focal search.-And thanks for the quick genius jabberwock777;good advice I will take.
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Turn the volume up? :smug: