Maxon AF-9 vs. DiscomBOBulator vs. 00Funk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So my shop has recently become a Godlyke Dealer, originally so I could get the AF-9, but i've seen these 2 other pedals too. I'm looking for a super wet Mu-tron type sound, ie "Sir Psycho Sexy." Also, how big is the DiscomBOBulator? I originally wanted the AF-9 because it doesn't take up much pedalboard real-estate.
  2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. All are first rate filters. Try them all and then decide.

P.S. I have the EMMA and absolutely love it. I wouldn't say it is better than the other two, just different. Good luck.:bassist:

Oh yeah, the EMMA is about an inch wider than a BOSS pedal and roughly the same length.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah, I thought it was a real big pedal. Very good! Is it true bypass? If it is, I think i'm gonna get it over the AF-9 (yes I know the AF-9 is true bypass.)

And the reason why i'm second guessing myself on the AF-9 is because of the volume spikes. I've heard of people getting the AF-9 then returning for the Emma, so I was just thinking, why don't I just go straight to the Emma?

EDIT: I see that it IS true bypass... I think i'm gonna get it.
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've owned:

Meatball, Lowpass Filter, Mutron III, Bass auto Q, BassIQ.

I thought the discumbobulator sucked nuts. Loads of people love it. I thought it sucked. I'm not sure what point im trying to make. Everyone's filter sound is different. Good luck finding yours.
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Good point about finding my own. Question though. What do you think sucked nuts about it? Do you think it sounded good, but just not your/I] sound?
  6. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    The thing to know about the EMMA is that the circuitry was improved after the first few batches. The older ones really DO suck. Lots of low end loss and very finicky. Every time you turned it on it sounded different. It was very impractical. Nowadays, they keep low end well, have consistent operation and have no volume spike or loss. It is definitely my favorite. However, I haven't played with a 00Funk. This one looks like it's badass and will do whatever you want. I could see the 00Funk replacing my EMMA if it sounded as good as I imagine it does. Good luck.
  7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    From one of my previous posts:

the emma discumbobulator is NOT 3PDT true bypass.
    I emailed godlyke distribution here in the USA asking if the emma was true bypass and this was the response I got:

"No, it is DPDT bypass and the input stage is attached when bypassed but reading a resistance of about 1 Meg ohm, which the input signal does not "see" and thus passes it by. This configuration actually has a lower resistive load in bypass than "true bypass" using a 3PDT switch"

I was bummed when I got that response...for me spending $190 US dollars, is a 3PDT switch too much to ask?

Hope this helps anybody else that might have been wondering the same thing. It IS an awesome sounding filter though.
  8. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    you'd have to be insane not to get a maxon knowing that now!
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    True dat.
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm sure this has been covered before, but: doesn't 3-pole, true-bypass cause a 'click'-sound in your amp when you use it? I'd think so...

11. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I just received my new Emma yesterday.

I originally got the Maxon AF-9, but returned it because I didn't like the volume jump when turning it on and it also would give annoying jumps in volume while using it. The effect did sound very good, though, but the volume jumps just made it unuseable for me.

Then I tried the MXR M188 Bass Auto Q. I didn't like it either, so back it went. It didn't have the volume jumps, but the response just wasn't very good and neither was the sound (IMO).

So I received the Emma yesterday, and I'm liking it much more than the Maxon AF-9 or MXR Bass Auto Q. The Emma's response is easy to work with and pretty tweakable, and the sound quality is great. And the volume balance between on & off is just right. It may not be 'true bypass', but it's bypass sound doesn't seem to be lacking anything, so no biggie.

The Emma's a keeper for me.
  12. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    i dont really think true bypass makes that much of a difference , its more of a 'i just spent 1000 $ on my pedalboard all with true bypass and im not going to put this great little pedal here becuase its not true bypass'.
    id just go with what you feel and sounds good to you and take everything else with a pinch of salt, i mean all the great bassists never had such things as true bybass pedals. although I personally wouldn't ever even consider a non true bypass peddle on my board nowaday!:p
  13. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005

I have had experience with the Maxon and also liked the sound of it, but I have still not heard the Emma. How similar to the Maxon does it sound?
  14. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'd say the sound is pretty similar, only with better control and responsiveness from your instrument, and much better volume balance whether in use or just switching it on & off. I believe it also has a larger variety of useful sounds.
  15. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I wouldn't not buy the EMMA because it's not true bypass, I'd not buy it because I didn't like the filter sound on it at all.

True Bypass isn't the be all and end all its often quite good to have a buffer in your chain something like a boss pedal, it's only when you have a few it starts to do funny things to your signal
  16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He's right. A buffer is a GOOD thing sometimes. Also, Godlyke's explanation of their switching circuit should not have been a bummer, they were saying it actually works BETTER than true bypass. I am studying electronic engineering specifically for effects design, and many builders say they only put true bypass switches in because customers turn their noses up otherwise- not because it works best.
  17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    last night i dreamed that i had bought a discombobulator.

thanks, talkbass.
  18. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005

are you with the terrorists??
  19. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I haven't tried the others, but I love my DiscumBOBulator.
    1. There is no tone suck when not engaged.
    2. No low end drain when it is engaged.
    3. The volume is consistant on or off
    4. Sounds great and versitile with up or down sweep and you can make it real wet or just damp

All my other pedals are true bipass except for my Boss EQ (I think it's not true bipass) and it plays well with other pedals. I may never sell it. Happy here.
  20. I assume you mean these statements apply when using your active Roscoe's. Are these statements still true when using a passive bass with the Emma? :confused:

Help this poor passive Fender Jazz bass user come to a decision - Thanks :)

Maxon users current and past:

I'm also curious how the active/passive bass issue applies to the Maxon. I understand there is a volume increase when the effect is initially engaged. I'm curious as to how the active/passive bass relates to "volume jumps" while the effect is running? Did this also happen when using a compressor before the filter? :confused: