Maxon AF-9

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Nov 18, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Ok, so I've searched around on these and I've seen divided opinions on how good they are with bass.

Problem is, I've only found one opinion on either side so that doesn't help me too much :)

So, what experiences (good and bad) have people had with these?
  2. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I was probably one of the positive replies you read. I think it sounds very good on my bass.
    I don't find the band pass or high pass filters to usefull, but the low pass with up or down sweep
    are very good on the bass. It basically has the same controls as the Mutron. I chose it over the
    Haz Mutron because it was cheaper, much smaller, and better (IMO). I keep mine in the signal
    chain all the time. For other filters, I also have BassIQ in there and sometimes a bassballs.

I was able to try it out before buying it though. I assume you're thinkin of ordering it.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Dave -

I have one of these. I have mixed feelings about it. It can sound very good at certain settings. Sometimes I have a problem in which the filtered sound is considerably louder than the unfiltered sound. This can be very annoying during a live performance. I sometimes use a compressor after it to keep it in line. On the other hand it has a very watery sound much like a Mutron. It is more sensitive near its trigger point than the Mutron. In other words sustained notes will waver for a moment. It does require a greater degree of control than other filters I have used. Finally, there are 3 internal trim pots that can be used to tweak the response for your needs. I got the information from the US distributor, Godlyke. Here is what they say:

SR-1 - controls how low the filter will sweep in Down Drive mode
    SR-2 - controls the overall frequency range in either Hi or Lo range
    SR-3 - control how high the filter will sweep in Up Drive mode

You should be able figure out which pot is SR-1, SR-2, SR-3 by experimenting.
  4. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    BFunk, thanks for the info on the Pots, I'm definitely gonna play around with those. You
    hit on one of the negatives there.......the volume on the AF-9 definitely spikes louder than
    I want it too, and I have to tune the "peak" switch lower than I may want sometimes.
  5. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    I swear by my AF-9 but there definitely is an issue with a boosted signal. I have a loop box with a volume so it's not an issue for me. I never knew about the internal trim pots. I'll have to check that out. I don't think adjusting the peak or compressing the sound plays to the stregnth of the AF-9. A true bypass looper with a volume pot is a bonus and keeps me from choking the sound to suppress volume spikes. I run mine in a loop with an octaver before it . It's my synth loop.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Thanks for the info everyone! So it's three thumbs up to one thumbs down (somewhere in the TB archives) so far.

The volume issue definitely sounds annoying, I do have a loooper with a volume pot on each loop so that could maybe compensate for that if the volume difference was predictable.

In answer to pudgefactor, I am thinking of getting one. I could order one on a return period (mf,zzounds,pedalgeek etc), but you really don't get the chance to get the warts and all experience with a pedal until you use it live. Hence asking the question here, and everyones replies were extremly helpful. thanks again!