maxon af9 ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jackson0321, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    can the maxon get the dub tone like the dod fx25
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What is "the dub tone"? Is it like, really really bassy tone or what?
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Basically yes. On the FX25 you just turn the sensitvity right down, so the filter will almost NEVER open, keeping everything on the extreme low frequency that it would usually sweep through with higher sensitivity.
  4. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    it can get any sound you like, it can even take you out for a 3 course meal and take your dog for a walk.
    if you can't get a mutron3 get one of these, im serious, would i lie to to????
  5. hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    And What about the ibanez AF-9? (i learnt that maxon usually copies ibanez or vice-versa).
    In harmony-central the reviewers of the mutron, often say that the maxon is a very good second choice (or first for some of them) as you said it japo castorius;)
  6. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Well I've just bought one from the states, so I'll inform on my findings and how it compares to the Q-tron, Dod FX25 and the MXR Bass Auto Q when I receive it :)
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Well, I just received a Maxon AF-9 last week.
    The volume is very loud with the effect on compared to when the effect is off, with no way to even it out. It also suffers from annoying jumps in volume as it is operating. The sound of the effect was very good, but I couldn't handle the volume difference between the 'on' & 'off' and the jumps in volume while it was on, so I returned it.

Edit, to answer original question: Yes, it can do the dub thing.
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Sounds like you got a lemon...
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've heard other people comment about the volume jumps. I didn't quite know what they meant until I played thru the one I got, then it became clear.

So, you think I just got a bad one? If I had known that, I may have tried exchanging it for another one, but I figured that's just the way they are.

So anyway, I exchanged it for the MXR M188 Bass Auto Q.
    Didn't like the MXR BAss Auto Q, so it went back.

I'm now waiting on an Emma Discumbobulator.
  10. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    eyea it has a volume jump.
    i do a lot of jazz/fusion/funk gigs with this pedal and in a live situation its no problem! the boost is not so bad although sometimes when im in a slap solo ill kick it on at the end and it makes me sound a little louder and i get a nasty look from the drummer.
    to be honest i think its a flip between having the best sounding filter out there with a small volume boost or going with the other crap that you wouldn't be happy with and would end up buying the maxon anyway, which is what happned to me!
    i think the volume boost is better than having a lower output like the small tone, thats really crap!
    just my 3 c
  11. gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I own an original all beat-up Ibanez AF9. The Filter Wah sounds are the best I've played (I like them better than the EBS unit). Probem is, it has the WORST bypass sound. So I am using a Loooper. Newer Maxon pedals seem to have a true bypass.
    There must be a thread around about true bypass, citing exactly the Maxon pedals
  12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have 3 AF-9s--2 Maxon reissues, plus an old Ibanez UE-303B multi-FX (has an AF-9, compressor, and flanger/stereo chorus, master bypass, AC power, and a built-in FX loop). The Ibanez is a little woolier sounding and a bit slower, which may be attributable to its age (20 + years). The Ibanez also has a lower input impedance (500K vs. the Maxon's 1 Meg) may lead to a bit of signal loading on passive basses.

I have had an FX-25 and an FX-25B, and being a huge Bill Laswell fan I am familiar with its tone as a dub filter. The AF-9 can get similar tones if you set the sensitivity low and run the Bandpass or Lowpass filter on the low range setting. The tone has more mids and detail than the bottom-only tone of the DODs, and you can vary it a bit by moving the peak control. The Ibanez/Maxon also have far superior workmanship/components to the DOD.

The AF-9 does have a bit of a volume boost when engaged. This hasn't really caused much of a problem, and I find it less annoying than the big volume drop inherent to the FX-25/B. I often use the compressor on the UE-303B to match the levels to the uneffected signal and catch any transients.

I recently got a Boss LS-2 line selector pedal which lets me 1) blend a clean, uneffected signal and 2) control the volume of my FX chain. The LS-2 (or similar blendable looper) is worth investigating for optimizing FX that don't have level controls or clean blends.
  13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Like ME!