Maxon CP101 Compressor pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alard, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Alard

Alard

Nov 18, 2004
    Shelby Twp., MI
    What do you guys think about this one?

2. muse

muse

Apr 7, 2005
    Hello.
    I have both the cp101 and the ebs mutlicomp.
    First one was the maxon, and I was glad with what
    I got with it, but then I didn't like that it cut too much lows.
    Then I got the ebs and really liked the way it preserved lows,
    so I left the maxon aside.
    When it came to record though, I noticed that I ended up rolling off too much lows to get the recorded sound I wanted, so I thought to try again the maxon.
    For me, now that I have a better amp(markbass cmd121h) the maxon works better for recording, as it smooths the sound more, and the bass reduction is desirable.
    The biggest problem the ebs has in my opinion is that due to its slower attack, no matter the compression setting, it leaves the first peak of each note come through, especially when slapping, so the use of further software limiting and compression is needed.
    Also the maxon tightens up the sound more than the ebs.
    The ebs on the other hand is warmer and a tad less noisy.(for live I don't really notice any noise from both, and when recording I apply always noise removal so I don't really care about noise).
    I suppose the ebs gets a better overall live sound(especially slap), but the maxon excells in recording where you want a more compressed overall sound. It just works better in tightening up my sound. (jazz bass with ballsy dimarzio js.)

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree with your descriptions of the EBS. The attack is a bit too slow for some playing styles; but the warmth and low noise are very appealing to me.

You may be able to get somebody to mod the Maxon for a little more bass if you want.

4. muse

muse

Apr 7, 2005
    I would really prefer modding the ebs to get a faster attack,
    as it is already a superior pedal, it just isn't that good when recording.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021