Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maxon PH350 Rotary Phaser or Sobbat Phase Breaker?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Jul 8, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am looking for a GREAT phaser and these are the two that seem to stand out for me based on comments on the web. I really like the watery/chewy sound of the Maxon. Has anyone tried either of these? Are there other phasers I should add to the list? Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    How much are you looking to spend?

MikeB

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

$200 or so.

4. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Well, I'm a bit of a phaser freak and want / need something with a lot of flexibility so $200 would be limiting, but - as you know I'm sure - nothing beats trying them for yourself, *especially* as many effects are targetted towards guitarists rather than bass players (with respect to frequency response). Also, I'd steer clear of FET-based phasers (eg MXR-90) as these tend to distort with higher signal levels (like those from active basses). Phasers with high-headroom are the go for clean tones.

I haven't personally tried those you have listed (but then I already have a biphase and a boutique phaser already!)

MikeB

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I took a look, (and listen), to your phaser, the infinitphase. Very nice, but not something I would want to put on my pedal board, way too many knobs. I bet it would be awesome as piece of studio gear. Nice job.

6. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Cheers, thanks! Yes, the infinitphase goes somewhat beyond 'regular' phaser territory and can be hard to get into, but I do know of a few hearty souls that use it live and tweak knobs during their performances.

Another lesser-known alternative is the phaseur which you can DIY or buy via:
    http://www.3mspedals.com
    It is LDR (photocell) based which avoids the FET overload issues I mentioned before, and is pretty flexible with respect to waveshape of the LFO, ability to add a second LFO, and within your price range.

MikeB

7. I love those effects! I need to get one! :eek: :D

8. Am I crazy to keep on wanting a touch sensitive phaser? I really think that would be very cool. Like an EV filter but would that just be too close? Maybe they are too similar? Why doesn't someone make this? The Akai does not count as it just kicks in or out at a certain level.

9. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    It's probably not financially viable to manufacture a touch-sensitive phaser, but it *is* a cool sound as all-pass filtering (as used in phasers) messes with your tone less (IMHO) than LP etc filtering. It would be possible to add such a mod to any 'commercial' phaser (as long as it analog, i.e. not the Boss PH3). You'd need something similar to the envelope detection circuit on a MutronIII / Bassballs / etc, and then that would need to be hooked up to the phasing section (with either a switch to toggle between envelope detection / LFO or a blend control). The only limitation I see is being able to fit in the additional circuitry, but it would be possible *somehow*.

Dynamic control is a much over-looked area, I feel, as it lets you map your hard-earned skills with control of volume into controlling any other parameter of the effects you are using (given someone can build or modify them for you). Effects are at their most useful and musical when they interact with your playing, rather than just impose a preset tone or sound - all IMHO of course!

MikeB