1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maxwell: BLACKsummer's night

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Anybody else dig this CD? I bought back in June or July, but it has really grown on me lately. I think it is the best r&b or Neo-Soul release this year.:)

2. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    I'm really digging it too. I think what's most interesting is that the bass on the album is such a far cry from typical neo-soul in terms of tone and style.

3. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I' ll be buying the CD soon. My wife and I loves Maxwell. :cool:

Fred

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great CD! There was an article in a recording magazine (forgot which one) talking about the sonic goal and what they were trying to achieve. After reading the article, you will appreciate the album even more.

5. derrellvis69

derrellvis69

Aug 23, 2006
    Colorado
    I liked the CD so much that I downloaded it, and then purchased the physical CD, so I could read the liner notes and info. If you guys ever get a chance to see him live, you should.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The bassist on that CD is Derrick Hodge. He is young, he just turned 30 last July. I am really happy with the way these young guys are playing bass. R&B has a great future in store I believe.:bassist:

This is his Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/derrickhodge

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see I'm not the only one who likes Maxwell. I checked the Hip Hop sales charts, and I see he has moved 718,000 units by Sept. 5. That's pretty good considering the slump in CD sales.:)

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for posting this- we had intended on getting it the week it came out, then must have completely forgotten. I've been a huge Maxwell fan for a long time- I had friends in college that teased me for liking them, then bought his albums after hearing them :D Does the new album have a lot of drum machine work? That was the one point on "Now" that I really wasn't a fan of.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't think there are any drum machines on BLACK summer's night, and very little keyboard bass. It is definitely a throwback, Neo-Soul CD.

One other note: After checking out Derrick Hodge's Myspace page, I see he favors a old, American Jazz Deluxe V with the Suhr pickups like Sharay Reed. Who knows, maybe this is the beginning a new trend in basses that are now "cool" since successful players use them.:D

10. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
  11. i love the new record and am looking forward to the other 2 in the trilogy. bass playing is top notch, as is the production and songwriting. really great album all the way around.

maxwell is the new baby makin jam. i tell you what, throw on one of his records and light a candle and "turn off the lights", cause it's on :D

12. Terry Funk

Terry Funk

Dec 8, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Yes, I like this album a lot. "Bad Habits" and "Stop the World" are GREAT slow jams, and "Help Somebody" is great uptempo R&B. This is the first mainstream R&B/Soul album that I've really like in a long while. Maxwell has always been cool (Embrya is my favorite album of his).

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have all of his other albums and need to pick this one up, he's been gone far too long!

14. smoothoperator

smoothoperator

Jun 2, 2009
    Favourite Maxwell album is Urban Hang Suite.
    Haven't heard too much of BLACKsummer's night. Which tracks should I check out?

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    All of them.

16. +1

it's right up there with urban hang. you won't be disappointed. grooves for days.

17. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I loved his first album, but the last one really didn't hit me. I guess I should give it another chance.

18. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for posting this. CD bought. CD enjoyed. :)

19. Been meaning to pick this up for a while.

Longtime Maxwell fan, ever since I heard him on a Sweetback tune (Sade's bands' side project)!

Saw him live a while back with Alicia Keys opening!

I have and dig all his prior albums but Urban Hang is definitely my fav!