maxwell murder instruction?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by muhammadsmith, Jun 7, 2002.

1. i just started playing bass myself about a month and a half ago, but i've played guitar for 5 years, and i'm fairly competent after switching over to bass. there's not a whole lot of songs that i like that have really challenging basslines, but i want to improve my technical ability. someone said there's a trick to playing rancid's "maxwell murder"; making what seems like a really hard to play solo managable. can anyone give me any general instruction on how to play it? any help is always appreciated.
  2. MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    I know that Rancid's bass player (his name slips my mind now) uses alot of chromatic movements, just try to solo in 'd' for that song, and jam with the cd. He moves real fast, but its all in small scales. Thats about all I can type out for advice, I hope that helps some.
  3. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Go to the tabs section . Listen to the song, and turn everything down on the stereo except for the bass, try to memorize the pattern. It's gonna be more difficult than it seems, Matt Freeman plays very fast, and his bass lines have almost nothing to do with the music, but they sound great! It took me about a month to learn this.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Its hard to learn, but once you get it it is the best thing to play. The first few notes are just a C (5th fret G) and then it goes down. Its easier to learn if you have a metronome.
  5. outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    The trick to any Matt Freeman solo is to go wild on the right hand (with a pick).... it's a real basic solo, I believe its a pentonic scale he uses up and down... find the tab, then play that as fast as you can then play THAT as fast as you can and you may be close....