Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maxwell murder - rancid WTH?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by slick519, Jan 31, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i heared this song for the first time a couple of weeks agao, and i was soon amazed my the bass solo that max (is that his name?) pulls off. but i was jstu wondering about a few things, a) what does he use, finger or pick? and b) is the tab on TB a good one?

Thanks,
    Slicks

2. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    his name is Matt Freeman and he uses a pick

and yes, he rocks :)

not sure about the tab though, haven't seen it

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Matt Freeman
    Uses a pick
    Tab is VERY close
    Sweet solo to play
    :D

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    The reason i thought max was his name was partly because in the background, you can hear the lead singer say something that sounded like, "oh max, mofo" also because of the name of the song (maxwell)

two other question, can anyone here play the song, in time, with fingerstyle? i jsut cant get teh hang of a pick, but im working at it. the other question: does matt freeman have any other major solos like the one in amxwell murder?

thanks,
    Slicks

5. i haven't seriously attempted the solo, but i can play the rest of the song with my fingers. matt has another good solo in "axiom".

6. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    I figured that solo out, took me awhile,
    in my opinion the tab is close but kinda sounds
    weird and doesn't have the right pull off s and hammer ons in it, i'd say the song woudl be impossible to play finger style, you'd definately need a fast pick style to rip through it matt freeman style,
    He does have many other songs with awesome basslines in them, i suggest you go buy the new rancid cd, its really amazing.

7. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i have made some goals since i first posted this topic.

Goal #1. show you all that fingerstyle will not be second to a pick, and to prove this, i will work at doing maxwell murder, full speed, the whole thing, fingerstyle.

Goal #2. when i find out that goal number 1 is impossible, learn to play with a pick extremly fast

Goal #3. go out and by a rancid cd! !¡WOOHOO¡!

~slicks

8. Their first CD, their first self titled one is AMAZING. I can't stop playing along to it.. Get that, the new one, and out come the wolves... Oh hell, just get all of em!

I can play the maxwell murder solo, but not quite fast enough. And you better believe I'm using a pick.
    Wow, I haven't posted in a few weeks...

9. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    Check out AFI if you like matt freeman's style.. AFI's bassist, hunter, is awesome.. his stuff is excellent.. check out Black Sails in the Sunset album or Art of Drowning....

10. Or just stay in the gene pool and get Op Ivy

11. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    i personally find that song, including the solo, easier to play with my fingers, you just have tyo use all of 'em

12. matt freeman will never pick and fast as bill dickens slaps!

13. A good song with a great bass line from rancid is "Journey To The End Of The East Bay"
    check it out. :)

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Journey to the end's easy, it's a walking line, but it sounds cool. :)

For some good punkesque songs with great bass lines, I suggest learning Operation Ivy's "The Crowd" and Hot Water Music's "Trademark"

You'll cover a good range between those two. :)

Also, I used to know Rancid's "Maxwell Murder" I learned it a few years ago, but since forgot it.

I play finger style, as well.

15. sethy

sethy

Jan 5, 2004
    New Jersey
    i'm wiht you bro. i tryed to pick the song but was to hard. tryed the fingers and i can do it full speed. if i had a neck without a damn s curve i could play it even faster but my action has to be like 1\4 inch off the neck lol. for me the trouble is rembering the darn thing not actulay playing it.

later

-sethy

o yea matt freeman is def the man. check out "white knuckle ride" he does some sick stuff in that song to.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean everyone can't do it. Ever hear of a guy called Alex Webster? Or Steve Harris. They play fingerstyle and Matt would be lucky if he could keep up with these guys.

P.S. I'm a big Matt Freeman fan, but Rancid can be a bit much sometimes what with the "oh we are so punk" attiude. :meh: I guess I'm not punk.

17. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Its a nice solo, but really all it amounts to is speed, which can be bested easily by many a fingerstylist and double thumber. Still, it's a fun one, along with Axiom's and White Knuckle Ride's.

18. my band used to cover that song. i play it fingerstyle, and we play it full speed. it wasnt too hard after a little while.