Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

May 16th show at Lion's Den

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Surgeon, May 9, 2005.

1. Mike,

I just took a tour of your website and realized that your shows at the Lion's Den are only about 3 hours away from where I live in New Hampshire.

Couple questions for you if you don't mind.

1. What's the cover charge? (Note: I'm willing to pay but will probably try and bring a few friends along and I'm not in a high tax bracket.)

2. Will you have copies of Big Droppin's and your book at the show if I want to buy them? You also mentioned a new publisher for your chordal theory book--is the new version out now or will it be soon? Should I wait?

3. How's the food there?

4. Any problems getting a seat on a typical night? I'd hate to drive three hours to be standing outside with my ear pressed to the windows.

5. Can you describe the make-up of your group? I'm planning on bringing a guitarist and pianist (great guys from work hoping to start our own group) and just wanted to tell them what other instrumentalists or vocalists we might expect.

Thanks, and I hope to see you next Monday.

Mike Van Bibber

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There is no cover charge. I play 8-11

I'll have both Cd's Big Droppins and There are No Accidents and I can bring a book if you'll make the trip. As for the new book - that is still a ways off, in fact it might not even come out in book form (interactive DVD or something)

Good pub food, reasonable price

Actually Monday nights are pretty quiet. It's a nice intimate show

This one is just solo bass. Although, I play with some truly wonderful musicians, I just find a hard time finding gigs that pay me enough to pay them what I think they deserve.

Thanks, and I hope to see you next Monday.

Mike Van Bibber[/QUOTE]

me too!

Mike

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    BTW, what kind of surgeon are you?

I have to meet with my ortho tomorrow - I need a bit of arthroscopy. I don't mid the procedure, but I am a bit freaked about the anasthesia

Mike

4. General Surgeon--I'm a 3rd year resident right now.

As for the anesthesia--good thing to know is that the risk of something bad happening during anesthesia is now lower than the risk of getting in an accident while driving to the hospital. :p

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I found out this morning that they are doing an epidural, which scared the hell out of me until I found out they will sedate me first. I have 2 tears in the medial meniscus but should be back to speed in a few weeks. Surgery is the 18th.

Mike

6. Mike,

Looks like the 16th is as close to a certainty as it can be. I'll be coming down with a good friend/guitarist (Berklee Grad that is amazing) and we'll be at the show.

I'm bringing a $20 bill with me for the package deal of Big Droppins and The Chordal Approach if you're OK with that.

Looking forward to hearing you.

Mike Van Bibber

P.S. Good luck with the arthroscopy. And don't fear the epidural--my wife has had 4 kids and swears by them!!

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Mike,
    Cool, I look forward to meeting you

Mike

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I'll be there too... looking forward to seeing everyone!

9. Mike,

Just wanted to take a second (now that I'm home safe and sound) to thank you again for a wonderful evening. The music was great and the show was made even better by your affable attitude and willingness to talk to us. I'll put Big Droppins through my CD player tomorrow and let you know what I think. And if anyone else is reading this--GO SEE MIKE PLAY! It was well worth the 2.5 hour drive.

Mike Van B

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Mike,
    Thanks so much for coming to the show. It was great to met you and Christian. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your making the commitment to attend.

Mike