1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

May be a stupid question: rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WorshipBassist, Jul 7, 2012.

1. WorshipBassist

WorshipBassist

Oct 9, 2011
    I know a rig is a sizable bass amp. Is a rig considered any head and amp that's not in a combo?

2. A rig is what you plug into, combo or separates. Doesn't have to be big, just get the job done while playing with others.

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Sure.
    Even a combo with an extension cab I think.
    Or two combo's togheter.

A combo on its own... I don't think. We should put it up to the elders for a vote.

4. A rig is any amp that you play through - it's just slang like calling your car your "ride"

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    All the equipment that is interconnected in between your bass and the wall outlet.

6. When your rig is a weenie practice amp you suffer rig envy. Almost immediately the first real rig you buy is seen as inadequate, even though it isn't, congratulations you just caught the GAS.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Amps, heads, cabs, combo amps - they're all tools to play music through. A rig is a fricken' Kenworth. I hate the term, but that's just me.

8. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    SWR Super Redhead Thats my rig! haha even on its own!!

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    A rig can include your bass, depending on who you ask. Some say it includes the bottle stashed in your bag. But there is much doubt.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    And when your rig becomes totally inadequate or fails you on a gig it is known as "rigger mortis".

11. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    :D

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's just a slang term meaning your bass amp, and can include pedals, bass, whatever. There is no "official" meaning.

13. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    A rig has eighteen wheels. What going on here?

14. Vandy

Vandy Banned

Dec 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Your rig . . .
    What you slip into, what you put on, what you whip out . . .
    Man, it's what you use to channel "you" . . .
    Your rig, man . . .

15. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Rigoletto, but that's Italian.

16. I consider my 810 a rig, but i call my 212 combo an "I don't feel like moving a refrigerator so get off my back.", or "combo" for short.

17. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Bass player's rig
    Guitar player's rig
    Astronomer's rig
    Photographer's rig
    Surveyor's rig

Everybody's got a rig.

Somehow I'm glad my doctor doesn't call his practice a rig, though. But, then why not, I mean, if he's just practicing, ya know.

18. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    well no, but i imagine he might have some piece of equipment or system that gets the term; like one of those heart monitor EKG things, complete with display screen, cables, and the bits that attach to your body, might collectively be referred to by the nurses as "the EKG rig".