May finally be getting out of the basement...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 29, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm a true amateur - I play bass solely for my own enjoyment. I play semi-regularly with a good friend that is a guitar player, and that's it. I'm just a moderately talented gear junkie.

The other night I stopped up at our local Barnes and Noble for the latest copy of BP. Lo and behold, it was open mic night! I knew they bring in local musicians, but had no idea they had a free-for-all acoustic night once a month.

I struck up a conversation with one of the players, and, as it turns out, he's been looking for a bassist for some of his original stuff. It seems he only does the local open mic circuit, no gigs for pay. So, we're going to get together and see how we can adapt bass lines to his stuff for performance. I'm all set, what with my Tacoma and Landmark 60. No way I'm going to sing, though!

This is kinda scary, let me tell you - playing for others? Eeek!
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Playing in front of others is addictive. You will be nervous the first time, but then 5 minutes into the show, you will forget it. My first preformance in front of people was last year's school jazz band show. I was nervous, shakey, and a bit scared in the beginning, but then I got a boost of confidence and all my fears floated away with the music!

Don't sweat it, you'll be great, and congrats on the new gig!!!