1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

May have broken pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sundown1206, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Long story short, I was moving around pedals while arguing with my girlfriend and accidentally gave the wrong pedals the wrong voltage.

I accidentally gave my qtron which requires 24 volts.. 21 volts

And my enigma qballs which requires 9 volts.. 21 volts..

Now neither one does it's job but they both turn on and make extremely extremely quiet sounds. Like put your head close to the cab to hear it sounds.

Am I screwed or can I fix it?

2. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I don't think sending 21v to a 24v pedal would cause damage (some people starve the voltage deliberately), but 21v to a 9v pedal would be a recipe for pain. And fried circuitry.

Have you tried the QTron on it's own, with the QBalls out of the chain?

3. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I have not :/ I just started using it again after having it on the side for sale for months. Any way to fix it?

4. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    It may have blown a few individual components which can be replaced, or the whole board could be cooked.

You could try opening them up and having a bow peep but I reckon you'll be looking at a repair or replacement for the QBalls. The QTron may have escaped. Try it on it's own.

5. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    A cable wasn't pushed in all the way in a pedal in the qtrons loop so that's my mistake.

As for the enigma, I tried moving it to another power jack on my voodoo pedal power and it's working now. Odd

Thanks for the advice though

6. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Positive outcome FTW!

7. +1 smaller voltage is like having a wasted battery,but higher voltage can deff. fry your internals....happened to me with my boss parametric eq...and to make things worst,can't seem to find that pedal these days(the old brown/gold anniversary series),and i really loved it...

8. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Yea, I remember the discussion back when the MXR Blowtorch came out, and I told everyone I fed it 9v rather than 18v, and I had people on here screaming that I was damaging the pedal.

You will NEVER fry anything feeding it lower voltage, if the proper polarity is achieved and it is the correct type (DC or AC).

On the other hand, feeding too much can be a problem. In almost every case, pedal makers allow some over voltage, but it is more like feeding a 9v 12-14v, but not 21. It has to do with the internal components and their ability to handle more. Most 9v pedals are designed to be 9v due to fluctuations in voltage, and in some cases, over voltage sounds better, and has more headroom... Just don't go trying this without a replacement handy.