1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

May have found a used HXB-406

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Someone in my city has one (a Brice HXB-406 in Bubinga) for sale and I am going to go over to his house to check it out. Most likely I'll be taking the cash with me that he'd take for it,. . . $225! :hyper:

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Those aren't easy to find ......

If it seems to have lousy action, don't get discouraged. A lot of times the owners haven't done a proper set-up. And if the original strings are on it, chances are good that they'll be pretty crappy as well. Other than that, they're pretty good basses, especially for that price. I like the bubinga better than the quilt, as well ....... :cool:

3. Most likely I'll get it from him. Even if it sounds about like my old Peavey, it will be worth it just in order to get hands on practice with 6 strings. The fact that it is the Bubinga model is just 'icing on the cake'. I may have to do some 'tune up' on it, and will definitely be purchasing some black strap locks, perhaps eventually some new strings as well. :)

4. I've now had 3 Brices -

My first 6 string fretless just didn't have the right harmonics, but the neck was straight, and the action was great. I moved the bridge back a 1/4 inch to allow for more play in the saddles and reset it up again. It's the nicest fretless I have ever played - people can't believe the sound out of it.

I bought an HXB406 since I had a great experience, but couldn't get the noise out of the electronics. Great sound, great action, but don't turn it up once it's set. I found a used Z Prestige (neck-thru 35" scale natural finish) that I bought, then sold the HXB. The action was incredibly high - but the saddles weren't set right. A little adjustment was all it took. Hope you enjoy it - especially if it's a 35"

5. It may very well see an electronics change sometime in the future, probably a Bartolini 4.6 A/P so I would have more control over the sound, plus have better electronics. Perhaps that could be a good use of my Christmas money. :smug:

6. tbader

tbader

Jun 29, 2005
  7. i have an HXB-406, and i really like it a lot!

ok, maybe this was uncalled for...

carry on

8. Well, I bought the bass last night. I was interested in getting one to see what the 'fuss' was all about and I have to say, I don't know how they sell them for so cheap. It looked, played, and sounded pretty good! Yes, there is a little noise in the electronic in the tone pot, but I usually get a setting and stick with it. It had a few MINOR inperfections. All in all, it was a very good purchase. And the seller was a nice guy as well. A friendly person. :)

I'll be getting some strap nuts for it today or tomorrow and will be playing it at church on Sunday. I just hope I don't make too many mistakes while being unfamiliar with the extra string below. :meh:

Anyway, now I don't have to bug my wife about wanting a 6 string . . . . . . . . . . . for a while!! :D

9. By the way, this is the 34" model, which is what I was wanting anyway. The B seems to be pretty good on it, so I don't have any problems with is so far. I'll probably post an update after I play it on Sunday.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

10. Well, the bass performed pretty well on Sunday. My church is a larger church with a pretty good sound system with subs. This bass sounded very good and the person I bought it from said that they were the original strings. It is one of the 34" scale models (as I said in the previous post), so the strings could be about a year old or so. With a new set of GOOD strings, I bet this thing will sound amazing!!

A great purchase! :hyper:

11. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Good for you DCM .... glad it's working out :D

Post up some pics when you get the chance ...

12. Finally got a picture of the Brice I purchased. Not the best picture, but here it is:

[​IMG]

13. I put a set of Conklin Snakeskins on one of my Brices, and a set of DRs on another. Both had some really nice punch. I want to try Elixirs for my next set.

If you like a 34" scale, you can't beat these things. I like the pups on their Z Prestige series (35" neck thrus) - some noise in the electronics, but the sound is dynamite.

Enjoy it!! :p

14. Actually, as far as the 34" scale goes, I've not noticed any B string slap. The sound is very good on it, so I feel I got a GREAT deal!

Now, as far as strings go, I be this will sound TONS better when I change the strings out on it. I has the original strings, and is about a year old. I'd like to find some Elixirs even though they're a bit more expensive, and am not sure if you can get them in 6 string. Can you?