1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

May have lost my bass forever...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oniman7, Dec 7, 2011.

1. At a benefit show no less! I was playing an outdoor show. Pre-stage (what little there was of it) was right by the stage, around a corner. The whole area was fenced in. After our set, my blood sugar dropped immensely. I went inside the pub (we got shafted with the outdoor stage) to eat with my girlfriend. The rest of the band told me they were going to load up the stuff. I was riding home with the drummer. I don't know why (must have been really hungry), but I assumed that he would take my stuff with him. Should have double checked

He had previously told me that my amp was going home with the singer. I came out after eating and saw my amp still there -- no biggie, we loaded it into the singer's car and he brought it by the next morning.

Got in the car with the drummer, and he took me and my girlfriend to her home. Before we got out of the car, I asked him to bring the bass to practice and he said OK.

Show up to practice today and nobody has it or any knowledge of where it is. Everybody said somebody was carrying a different guitar until we just come to accept that nobody had mine... so we called the Pub back and asked to speak to a manager... nobody found it. The pub is in the heart of one of the worst crime districts in the state. The city has the highest murder rate in the US, or very close.

I've talked to everybody I could reach at the show, I've reached out to a Facebook group of musicians in my city (about 480 people), I've talked to friends, and I was in the process of filing a police report until he realized he never asked my age and you have to be 18 to file a report....

It's a very unique Ibanez BTB, probably a 445 or similar. I say very unique because I bought it used, and whoever owned it before me had refinished it to an all natural wood look. I have the serial number, but am wary about posting it here unless it will help anybody.

We're still trying to get on the phone with the Sheriff's Office to get my parents to file a report... I've checked Craigslist to see if it pops up. Should I post a Craigslist ad stating that it's lost/possibly stolen? What else can I do to try and get it back? As soon as we get the report filed, it'll go out to pawn shops and such.

Actually, just got filed while I was writing... will post a Craigslist ad in both Musical Items and Lost & Found.

You can see pictures of me with it here: The Magistrate | Facebook

I really love the guys who are trying to rejuvenate my musical scene... there's already talk of starting a collection or a benefit show just to replace my lost/stolen bass! Our music scene really sucks, but people like that make it shine. in all likelihood, I'll end up borrowing a bass from somebody until we can save up enough from the band budget to get a new bass.

Keep an eye out for it, if you would? It's not likely to travel far from Jacksonville, Florida though.

2. HunterBrodt

HunterBrodt

Aug 24, 2009
    Boise
    I'm going to play the devils advocate and say that you should keep a better eye on your stuff.

And no don't post a stolen thing on Craigslist since you want to find it on there so you have a lead.

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Man, that really sucks. Sorry about that. Some people make me sick. You might want to go ahead and check your local pawn shops and music stores to see if your bass is already at one. These crooks tend to sell what they take ASAP. A friend of mine had a lot of his gear stolen. It turned up a music store the very next day, even though he was robbed late at night. I hope you are able to get it back.

4. I'm sorry for your loss. Being local, I will also make a point of watching for it to turn up.

Best of luck.

5. I'll be checking Tampa and Orlando Craigslist. You might want to contact your local guitar stores and have them be on the lookout for someone trying to trade it.

6. Oh yeah, definitely not only my fault, but a total communications SNAFU. Thanks all you guys! I'll be calling some tomorrow. I live near old Saint Aug, but this gig was at the City Hall Pub, literally attached to the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. So they aren't exactly "local". I contacted the JSO, rather than the Saint John's County Sheriff because that's where it happened, but I live in Saint John's.

I really hope somebody tries to pawn it... I'd match the pawn shop price and maybe even let them go if they just sold my bass back to me. They're really not gonna get much. I bought it for $200 used. I'm worried they passed it onto family, or kept it as a souvenir or some such.

I can't even 100% say it was stolen -- nobody in the band knows where it is, called the club manager, nothing turned up, etc. So I can only assume. Open outdoor venue in downtown Jax during busy loadout? I'm thinking it's gone.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Whether or not you ever recover this particular instrument, you will (should?) have learned this valuable lesson:

• Until your gear is safely stowed, don't let it out of your sight.
    • As much as possible, assume direct personal responsibility for your own equipment at all times.
    • If you must let it out of your sight, designate one responsible individual - and one person alone - to look out for it until you can get back to it.
    • Do not make any assumptions that any other other person - or any other group of persons - will look after your gear in your absence: It's way, way too easy to arrive at the scenario of..."I don't have it. I thought you had it. But I thought you had it"... :rolleyes:
    Learn the lesson now - and in the end, this experience will turn out to have been well worth the price. :eyebrow:

MM

P.S. I can't believe you never even inquired as to the whereabouts of your instrument until your rehearsal the following day...:eek:

8. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    That really is hard to swallow.
    Basses are like little kids: Do not leave them unattended for long, if ever.

9. Definitely. I get irritable when my blood sugar drops and I tend to make food a priority to good common sense. Because that'll never happen to me, right?

Anyways, I just assumed the bass was in his car, and I asked him just to take it back to the practice room and he said "OK". Seemed like all was good in the world. Seems he knew less than I did about it and also assumed it was there.

10. sorry to hear about your troubles... i'll keep an eye on craigslist here, if it happens to wander westward from your location..

11. I love the people in my scene! I have several offers to borrow back up basses (some fairly nice ones), and a couple local bands volunteering their time to play a "benefit" to help fund a new bass for me.

12. I have a friend or two down in Florida, I'll let them know.

13. awww that sucks man :( hope you find it.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    IME, you might want carry a couple of nut bars with you to take care your of your low blood sugar

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    This is a good idea as well. I had my pedal board stolen at one point and a few pedals turned up in the local GC. They ended up with photo ID of the thief.

Sucks to lose gear. We had a recent incident, drummer forgot to lock the trailer and a guitar went tumbling out somewhere on the road. Fortunately, having learned from previous experience, I have all of my stuff insured now, but still, not a fun time.

16. We always forget something when we're preparing for other things, and we figured there would be food anyways :p I'm not actually diagnosed diabetic, though it runs heavy in the family. My blood sugar just seems to drop if I don't eat -- possibly due to my 110 lb frame and no fat... you can see it in the pictures. And I probably eat less than 2000 calories a day, so skipping meals is a no-no for me.

One of the guys locally offered to let me borrow his bass on the grounds that I guard it with my life and we'll be working out a back up plan in case something happens to it.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'll just say I hope you get your bass back, and not pile on any further - good luck...

- georgestrings

18. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    that really sux. hopefully someone feels guilty and returns it but ..... hard lesson learned. good luck

19. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Man, I hate thieves. I am a couple hours south of you Melbourne/Palm Bay area. I'll keep an eye out here too. And on Space Coast CL. Good Luck!

20. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Only one rule regarding gear . if you let it out of your sight ... it might just disappear .

I've heard of gear disappearing that was only unattended for seconds . I'm not trying to be callus , you cannot leave stuff somewhere and escape the inevitable .

Sorry to read this . I do hope for the miracle that you might get it back .