Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

May have to disappear from TalkBass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FretNoMore, May 23, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    This morning I discovered a break-in in my garage. Some quite expensive wheels and other car stuff has been stolen, and apparently it's not unlikely that the thieves have gotten tips on where and what to find because of my posting of too much details and pictures on a car forum similar to TalkBass.

This is giving me cold feet and I will most likely remove my pictures and other information from TalkBass to stop this inadvertant advertising. I have always advocated using your real name - I don't like hiding - but this may not be so smart given how small my neighbourhood is. It's probably not too difficult to find me by simply trying everyone with my name in the phone book.

So, if you see me and my posts disappear this is what's behind it. Maybe I'll return using a different name.

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    That sucks. Could you just limit the amount of info you have in your profile? That might help...

Don

3. Sorry to hear this....

get this thief!

(it wasn't me:ninja: )

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It's the Internet and there are a lot of weirdos out there, just looking for an opportunity. You just proved why screen names are a necessity.

I hope everything works out for you and you get some, if not all, of your stuff back.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    New username already! Thanks Paul for the quick change!

My new name reflects both my new interest in smooth fingerboards, and that I don't have to worry so much... :)

Now I'll just clean up my profile a bit and maybe I can sleep well tonight after all.

/Anders

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Oh man. I really hope it not directly related to TB. I hope they catch those........

:mad:

.....theives & give them what they deserve!!!!!

7. Uh oh, Maybe I should change my screen name, even though only about half the people that see it understand it.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

FetNoMore is a really cool screen name. And you did the prudent thing to delete your actual name. Identity crime is becoming the fastest growing crime in the U.S. I believe it is best not to give out any more personal information than absolutely necessary over the Net because there are uncouth and ruthless criminals out there who will try their best to make whatever use of that information as they can to enrich themselves and inconvenience you.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Ummm...your real name is still showing as the originator of the thread...you may want to have someone change that as well...sorry for your loss BTW.