1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

May I get a few opinions from my fellow low end luminaries?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by White Funk, Dec 13, 2018.

1. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Hi there guys, as you may know I recently received my Squire Vintage Modified Jazz five string. I already gave two glowing reviews about it and I'm liking it more and more. Here's my question, you know we are always on the quest for the "ultimate tone". I do think the stock pickups are very good, however I have heard very good reviews about the SD quarter pounders too. Here's my question. Would most of you guys consider the quarter pounders an UPGRADE/IMPROVEMENT to the stock pickups sound or just DIFFERENT. Once you mount pickups they are not returnable. I know this all comes down to opinion but I'd like to hear some of yours.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I would say..... different

Chrisk-K, JDMcDorce, Artman and 5 others like this.
  3. Lesfunk

I’m a big fan of Lindy Fralins. I would consider those an upgrade

4. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    White Funk appreciates LesFunk's opinion!

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  5. Lesfunk

I see what you did there!

White Funk likes this.
  6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    +1

White Funk likes this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The whole "upgrade/modification" debate is a red herring. If you put different pickups in and don't like them, it's OK to feel sad. Be disappointed. You might not find solace in "at least I can make up the value of the pickups when I sell it". Listen to a bunch of clips and buy something you think will work. Install them and hope for the best. I would say to give them a day or so because they won't handle like you're used to. Just put a Bill Lawrence Q-filter gizmo on a P Bass. It's taking me a minute (what I'm kind of doing right now) to figure out how to use it.

But just take a quick swing at a favorite TB dead horse; the ultimate tone comes from you, not your pickups.

8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Well, everyone probably has a different idea of what the “ultimate tone” is, but I can tell you that SD Quarter Pounders are far from my “ultimate tone”. So personally, I would not consider them an upgrade.

Seymour Duncan does have a 21 day exchange policy, so if you don’t like the Quarter Pounders, you can exchange them for something else.

FWIW, I think the Seymour Duncan Apollo Jazz pickups sound great!

9. White Funk

White Funk

Nov 25, 2018
    Wow, I didn't know about the 21 day exchange policy - thanks for that info and your suggestions!

saabfender likes this.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

If what you have in there makes you happy, then most changes would be considered lateral, IMO.

I went lateral on one Squier CV 60s P with a Wilde P-46. I am very pleased because the difference is clarity and full range: sound great tone up or off and everything in between. I use that P when I want round wound rock grind and the pickup delivers in spades. My other 3 go to basses all run flats with stock pickups.

White Funk likes this.
  11. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Keep in mind that this is US only. You can read the details of this policy here.

White Funk likes this.
  12. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I installed quarter pounders in a friend's bass and he asked me to reinstall the original pickups the very next week and let me keep the quarter pounders. Unfortunately, I hated them too.

Not all pickup upgrades are actually upgrades, so I would say "different"

For my taste, I've had really good luck with Bartolinis and Lace pickups.

White Funk and kodiakblair like this.
  13. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I'd like to check out these:

White Funk likes this.
  14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

White Funk, bumperbass and macmanlou like this.
  15. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    what specifically are you going for? the stock squier VM pickups sound good in my opinion, i haven't swapped mine. quarter pounders have a sound which you may or may not favor. if you're a funk player as your screen name suggests the QPs may not be to your liking.

White Funk likes this.
  16. You'll get a bit "hotter" tone and more clarity. A bit more punch. I installed the SD QP set in my Affinity PJ and I think it sounds great... YMMV.

White Funk likes this.
  17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Got to admit I find the pickups in my jazz-style Warwick 5-stringers to be the weak point and considered Quarter Pounders, really I'd like some stacked humbuckers in there if such things exist that don't need any routing done.

White Funk likes this.
  18. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I have an SX Jazz that the pick ups were poor to Meh and upgraded to SD QPs
    Now the bass has a great sound

Mods are what they are though
    You can never tell unless you try

Best of luck to you

White Funk likes this.
  19. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Different.

With pickups...I try to start with the inherent tone of the bass.

Is is really bright? Bass heavy and dark? Could use more mids...or scooped mids?

Now I try to find a pickup that will give me what I want based on the inherent qualities of the bass.

Good luck!

White Funk likes this.
  20. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Yup, personal taste really. I have the 4 string versions of both the P and J QPs. I find the P version almost unmanageable as far as high output level / mid scoop, but the J version suits me just fine.

White Funk likes this.