Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

may i rant about musicians (un)friend(ly)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by discoboo, Aug 13, 2005.

1. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    a few weeks back i purchased a firepod, so naturally i needed a pair of studio monitors to help mix our recordings. i ordered a set of m-audio monitors from musicians friend and they lost them. or fed ex lost them. nobody knows where they are, so a trace has to be performed. this has taken two weeks now and i am left with a credit card bill and no product while they take their time trying to find it. i'm sure this is standard operating procedure, but why am i forced to wait because of other people's incompetence? they f'd up, not me...send me another pair and figure out the problem on your end on your own time. plus, the "customer service" folks at m.f. were rude. don't call a customer "dude." i feel like i'm being jerked around. alrighty...now i can get back to fryin up some chicken. yee-haw!

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Why not? You were shopping for music gear, not buying a Bentley.

-Mike

3. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    because i don't appreciate it, that's why.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Chill out a lil bit ;). I never really cared when the C.S. guys called me "dude" or "man" or anything, as long as it wasn't outright offensive.
    If FedEX lost them, then M.F. really isn't liable for them anymore, aka, it's out of their hands - you should be complaining about FedEX here.
    If M.F. lost them, then yes, they should make good and send out another, give credit, or something. I had a deal go sour with M.F. once (of prolly 200 or so buying from them, and I still do buy from them), and to make good on it, they gave me a free set of strings.
    Hope you get your gear.

-Ray

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If they gave you a tracking number then you can go after FedEx.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Is it just me, or have there been a lot of Fedex f'ups lately posted on here?

Yea you can't blame MF, only fedex. They're the ones who lost it. As for the guy (or gal) calling you "dude", eh, I wouldn't get too upset about it. It's not like they called you a weenie.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright then.

-Mike

8. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Worse case scenario - this doesn't get resolved and you still have that credit card bill - you can dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Tell them you paid for a product and the supplier failed to deliver the product in a timely manner as they stated.

9. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    When speaking with a Customer Support Representative of any company, I expect to be addressed as Mr [insert last name here] ...that is basic CS 101...anything else is unacceptable and unprofessional.

10. You mentioned the Credit Card bill- I'm not sure about in other countries, but here Mastercard has a buyers insurance, where they will chase up the paid goods for you in the event that something went wrong- not to sure about the particulars, but I bet if MF or even Fedex had Mastercard, VISA, or American Express barking up their ass, they would act alot quicker...

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    When dealing with a musician-type sales person, I want the friendliest most personal service possible, and "dude" is usually part of that. I don't EVER like being called Mr. Lyons... too impersonal.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Mr. Lyons, while I understand your position, I must inform you that the company has determined the word "dude" to be wholly unprofessional. In light of this, our Customer Service representatives have been shot due to overuse of this word. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we promise to take care of any future "dude" references in a swift and deadly manner. Thank you for choosing... blah blah blah...

Too impersonal? Ahh, hecks naw!

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LOL! As a matter of fact, being in distributor sales, I always hated the impersonal people we talked to who you could tell were reading scripts. Same with CS, I want to talk to a person. I don't want to talk to a machine, or a person pretending to be a machine. I want personality.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yikes! You need to remove the chip from your shoulder dude.

When I am about to drop a couple hundred thousand dollars on a new home, or a big chunk of change on a new car, I can see being called Mister. When I am shopping for bass gear or car parts, I don't want someone calling me Mr. Jones. Dude works perfect. Heck, if I walked into Carey Nordstrand's shop to buy a $5000 bass, a simple "hey dude" would be fine. I would feel like a dork if he called me Mister Jones.

-Mike

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Y'know, Mr. Jones reminds me of a song, but I only remember the line that goes
    MIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSTTER JOOONES something something. But yes, when I'm buying pratically anything I don't care if the dude calls me dude. Heck, I'll prolly call him dude first.

-Ray

16. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Just inform whomever you may be speaking to that you must be spoken to as El Conquistador !

:D

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I prefer "Mr Dude" just to cover all the bases....er....basses...um....whatever.

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    "im not Lebowski HE'S Lebowski , im the dude man!"

i suspect the words dont translate to print.

oh well , hot cup 'o coffee , cold glass 'o tea.

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I got that loud and clear :)

20. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    bah, do none of you listen to bob & tom?