Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

May I use any Power amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icks, Nov 5, 2002.

1. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I 'm willing to begin my rig.
    I'll have a preamp ( Line 6 pod pro ) and I'll need a power amp, could I use any power amp ?
    Like Alesis or any other ?

coz I saw only 3 power amps on musicianfriend....

Txs

1Ck$

I know i'm a dummy
    :D :p

2. Theoretically yes, you can use any poweramp, but not every poweramp will make a good bass amp. Bassists who go the preamp/poweramp route choose professional grade amps used in PA systems because of their abundant power and clarity. I don't have any experience with Alesis, but poweramps from Crest, Crown, QSC, Yorkville, Peavey, Yamaha are a best bet.

3. There are a couple of things to look at when buying a power amp to use with a bass rig. The 1st thing I look for is CAN IT BE BRIDGED? If it can then you can make a stereo amp into one big mono bass amp. It will deliver more power this way. For instance a power amp that delivers 250 per channel into 8 ohms will probably deliver 800 watts into 8 ohms bridged and over 1000 into 4 ohms. The second thing I look for is WHAT LOAD CAN IT BE BRIDGED INTO. Just about all will bridge int 16 or 8, but, a lot won't bridge into 4 ohms. Lots of bass speaker systems end up running at about 4 ohms and sometimes ( though not recommended) even lower. If it doesn't bridge into 4 ohms you will be limited in its application. I look at weight. You can get a lot of power for not too much money if your willing to carry around 35-50 lbs. If you want big power and light weight be ready to spend some bucks. Low cost heavy weight power can be had from QSC RMX series, Carvin DPC ( they are a little lighter but not much) and most major manufactures. If you want big power and light weight look at Stewart, Peavy and QSC PLX and Power lite. If you want absolute reliability, low heat, and moderate weight, look at Crown K-1 and K-2. We use these on the PA in my band. We run them all night at 4ohms bridged cranked and they bairly get warm. jmho :D

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That sounds like good advice Greybeard.

I have a Crown PL-1 that seems to be designed to be a "studio" poweramp. It has RCA ins and extra speaker outs. I think it's 160W into 8 ohms bridged. It shut down once going bridged into 4 ohms, so it's probably not designed to do that. :) Does anybody know if there are real reasons (aside from obvious tonal preferences) against using this kind of amp for PA monitors, bass, or g****r.

5. Studio amps are usually designed for absolute minimal distortation and quiet fan free operation. They rarely will bridge into to any load lower than 8 ohms if they can be bridged at all. Because of their fan free operation they don't do as well as other designes when used as an instrument or live monitor amp. AS for the PL-1 it probably doesn't have enough power to drive 2 8ohm monitors (1 per side) and it's not designed to be bridged into 4 ohms. It doesn't sound like a good choice for this type of application.:(

6. You mentioned Musician's Friend.
    Everytime I price equipment they are 15% higher or more than any price I ever get. Shop!
    I wish I would have gone to Lord Valve when I bought my QSC PLX 2402. BTW, it's a great amp.

7. What is "LORD VALVE" The only thing I can find is a tube supply co.:confused:

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Thank you guys
    I'll probably go for any stereo +-500 Watts (4 ohms)
    It will depend which i can afford ;-)

9. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    What about amps like the Eden WT-1000? Is this a stupid question? If so, plz tell me why... I didn't know that you could run a bass into a preamp then a PA amp, since you can, what do you need a DI box for?

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Take a look at either Carvin or QSC poweramps...
    I have a carvin DCM1500 and I am very satisfied with it.. there are several others who use carvin power amps here aswell and they seemed pleased also

11. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    i can't affort Carvin or eden .... :mad: :(