May move to North Carolina....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Yeah. Well, here's the story, in a short nut shell:

Fiancee's grandparents own her mom's house. Mom hasn't been paying house payments lately, mostly because she is out of work/disabled (it would take too long to tell THAT story) She has a temp job right now, and is trying to send partial payment.

Grandparents don't care, are trying to evict them (me not happy)

So mom is thinking about moving back to North Carolina. A little town called Cameron south of Raleigh.

This is okay. Meghan would stay here with me, mom and sister move to other side of continent.

Meghan is ending her senior year next year. She want's to go to graduate school. In North Carolina. (this has been the topic of a couple of "discussions" in the recent past)

However, I may have a solution that works for me as well as her. The University of North Carolina has what seems to be an excellent Audio Recording program. And since I finish my degree next year as well, it may behoove me to go there and turn it into a bachelors.

Plus, I may just be able to get a job at GC Raliegh, if I REALLY need to. (I hope not, though.)

So, we are going to be headed out there over spring break to move her mom, and I might be living out there this time next year. Meghan and I sat down and discussed this all day today with my parents and her mom, and this kinda sounds like the best idea. Megahn and I would not live with her mom, more likely we would find some place closer to our respective universities.

Now, apart from the occasional hurrican and meeting people who don't know what "behoove" means, what else can I expect from NC? It's a state that I really don't know much about, and I would like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Rock on
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Choose now.....Blue Devils or Tar Heels.

Oh yeah, you'll need to pick a favorite NASCAR driver, and buy a replica of the coat he wears when driving.

3. PSU Vikings and Michael Schumacher!!:D

Rock on
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You won't fit in with the locals. Watch your back. Open wheel racing is for sissies is what they will tell you. :)

5. Well, I can see why shiny objects moving in a circle would entertain them.

Rock on
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Pay no attention to these guys, they no not what they speak :p . Raleigh is as yuppie as any other. Decent weather most of the time excellent post grad education, you are 2 hours from the beach and 4 hours from the mountains.

I am a native North Carolinian and I sponsored this ad.

7. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    There's a pretty good music scene around "The Triangle" which is made up of Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh. Quite a few places booking original music, and many places booking cover bands as well. There's also a nice vibrant cultural scene fed by the local universities, plenty of outdoor activities, and the weather is usually pretty good.

Check out to get a feel for the local music scene and for the local alternative weekly paper to get a feel for the area.
  8. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    The best advise I can give you is don't bring any assumptions with you. I live close to Raleigh, worked in Raleigh for 15 years. I know the guys at GC pretty well. You will have to get used to calling most of your customers "doctor", but a single PhD doesn't really have much sway here anymore. It would behoove you to know that.
  9. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I have family who have lived in NC for years and I've been there a few times. First of all, it is a truly beautiful state. Second, the computer/technology industry (if you call it that) moved in to the Raleigh/Durham area a decade or so ago. Duke and the Univ of NC at Chaple Hill are two of the finest universties in the country, so there would be manymany smart, hip people around there.The culture in more rural areas is dominated by ol' boyism and (fundamental) Christianity. I don't know you, so I don't know if that's good news or bad news, but I'd be very uncomfortable in rural NC. If I were moving there, Raleigh wuld be an area I'd choose.
  10. I lived in Fayetteville for 2 years. I hated that yellow pollen crap.

But it is pretty there.
  11. Hey, that's right!! I will be needing a new doctor when I move...

Rock on
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Wifey and I would like to move to Kill Devil Hills and get jobs with the Grave Digger monster truck org.
  13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've visited, and my brother lives there (greensboro - he plays metal guitar, and is a Harley mechanic). Really nice people there. Really nice - I was sort of amazed.

My impression is that it's a great place.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hmm....Greensboro....hmm....Roscoe Basses...hmmm....

....North Carolina IS beautiful!

(Not just 'cuz of the Roscoes though, I really love that place, particularly the mountains to the west)
  15. That's something I will definitely miss. I know that the Appalachians are rugged and all, but they're, well, short. Mt. Hood is over 11,000 feet tall. Rainer is over 14,000. Dammit, when I summit a mountain, I want to worry about asphyxia!!!:D

Plus I won't be able to see the Columbia River Gorge, or go hiking in the Mt. Hood wilderness, or go to the Oregon Coast. I'm gonna miss that.:(

On a totally different note:

The timeline just had a major shift as of just a few minutes ago. Apparently, Megahn's sister, who is 14 and a frosh, got into a written argument with a friend of her's in a note. The basic gist of this was that the friend wanted to borrow Sarah's (fiancee's sister) knife to cut herself with, but Sarah wanted to use the knife on herself instead.

This of course led to a huge fight/argument in school, and Sarah is now currently in the adolescent psychiatric program at Emmanuel Hospital. Personally, I think she's bi-polar, but I'm not a psychologist at all, I've just taken a few classes.

Apparently, there is a really good psychiatric hospital in North Carloina. I don't know the name, but it's somewhere near Raleigh. Sarah and her mom will be going there next week, and Meghan may go with them for a short time. The here mom will fly back, and get everything set to move. I guess my trip, which was going to be at the end of the year, will happen spring break.

Great, now I'm all depressed again. Meghan isn't happy at all (for good reason) and that always makes me sad.

Rock on
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've been to Raleigh a bunch of times, and some of the surrounding country towns (Selma, etc.). And sorry Dr. Mike, being from Connecticut and spending a lot of time in New York, I have to say Raleigh is as far from yuppie as you can get. Things are WAY different down there than up here in New England. If you can get used to the culture, it's a nice place-pretty, and incredibly cheap rent and real estate.

School Kids Records on Hillsborough St. is an awesome store.
  17. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    You mean hypoxia. ;)

18. SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    I live in Cary, next door to Raleigh. (CARY = Containment Area for Relocated Yankees).

The pace is pretty slow down here, especially in the summer.

Music scene is ok. Biggest challenge is getting a crowd.

One thing about this place is it seems to cause people to breed. You are forewarned!
  19. Shh!! You know what I mean!!!:D

Rock on