Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

May need a bigger rig soon! But what?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jammadave, Nov 24, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, so I have a couple meetings set up with a couple bands (edit: and I'm hoping to actually join one of'em, god willing) and I'm pretty sure my GB Intro 90 isn't enough for gigging at local clubs, I've played at a couple before but I wasn't the bassist then, and our bass player at the time just went direct every time. So I'm a total n00b at this end of it all.

So I would like to know, without knowing how many watts the guitarists in these bands have, what kind of wattage should I go for, and what amps deliver at good prices?

Facts I'm gathering thus far:
    -The music will likely range into the "dark, heavy rock" side at times.
    -Drummers not excessively heavy-hitting from what I've heard thus far.
    -Clubs probably the size of DC's Black Cat or so.
    -Tone I'm after out of an amp is simply strong and clear, I generally add all the fat-n-hairy with effects.
    -I'd like a 15 and a pair of 10s if that'll do.
    -I'd like to keep it under a grand if possible.

TIA
    D

2. My friend played in a very chunky death metal band with/against two guitarists with crate blue voodoo halfstacks (120 watt all tube variety) and a VERY heavy hitting drummer with Just a 410 peavey cab and an old 400RB. He stood out well enough at half volume. I don't put much stock in the 4-10 times as many watts rule or whatever it is that people say you need to compete. I'd recommend GK heads based on that experience, but I'd also suggest trying to test out a bunch of gear (maybe try renting or see if the store will let you demo in your practice space) and buying what works for you.

On the other hand you could just get something smaller that sounds nice and rely on the club's PA for extra volume like your old bass player did. If you don't have an exceptionally loud drummer than you shouldn't need much in the way of stage colume anyway.

3. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If I were to look for a rig for under a grand I would pick-up a used GK 800RB, a new Avatar 210 and a new Avatar 212. For another $300, get a new GK 1001RBII (That's what I did!) That rig kills and it fits in my Jetta!