1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

May Replace Whetstone with Baby Quasar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Valerus, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Hey guys,
    I am considering switching my Blackout Effectors Whetstone with a Subdecay Baby Quasar.

My reasoning is as such: the Whetstone is expensive and I don't use its extensive features.

I've heard good things about the Baby Quasar. What would you guys say?

2. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Having had both and saying that you don't use the extensive features, I would definately recommend the Baby Quasar.
    Trust me, you won't regret it! ;)

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    There was some talk on Blackout's facebook about a month ago concerning a mini-whetstone with less features.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting. I saw a Baby Quasar go for $105 on TB. If I see another used one for sale I'll scoop it up.

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    You'll want to run it at 18v if you get it. It is too subtle at 9v. I got one really wanting to like it because it was so much smaller than my Source Audio Phaser, but it was just too subtle for my tastes. The original Quasar was relatively subtle as well, but the Baby seemed even more so.

6. Oh dear.

The original Quasar was too subtle to begin with. More subtle would be approaching the pointless.

So many knobs, and so little going on.

:D

Matt.

BTW why not get a Nano Stone?

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I sold the Baby Quasar because it was too subtle. I didn't try it on 18V though, whoops.

Psilocybe and Grand Orbiter are both thick thick thiiiiiiiiiiiiiick and my kind of pie.

Small Stone Nanos are effin' great, but don't play nice with dirt. Otherwise awesome.

Considering picking up that Empress thingy with one o' dem Black Furday coupons...

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    thanks for the input. Any more thoughts?

9. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Yeah, the Grand Orbiter is awesome. Like nad said, super thick.

10. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Coupon for an Empress Phaser?

I can has too? :atoz:

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    How much does the Grand Orbiter go for used?

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Damn son, I missed this post when there was still time. For Musician's Only had a 20% off coupon last weekend. :atoz:

13. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got a Baby Quasar and it says 9-12V operation. Can you actually run it at 18V?