Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maybe a Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ever since I picked up my Tribute G&L L 2500, my GAS has just gotten worse. Now I've really reached a decision point. I had said that I would no longer buy high-end basses because of my family and the fact that 90%+ of my playing is in the house for pleasure. Despite that, pictures of those Laklands and Sadowskys, Lulls, etc. are really tempting. I e-mailed Mike at Sadowsky and said that they are taking $500 down with 3-4 months to wait for the order. Heck, I can swing that!

Despite that, the "practical" side of me says get a nice 4-string for $750-1300 like a Fender, Musicman, or Skyline and call it a day. Opinions please. :confused:

2. My .02: Get the bass you WANT.

Otherwise, you'll end up buying and trading and selling. That can be fun but it's not economical.

Should you get a Sadowsky?
    Well, I have owned 5, sold 1, and have another on the way which will make 5 Sads in my arsenal. So you know where my 'vote' lies.

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Doc,

I know how you feel. I'm mostly a recreational player with little time to actually practice because of my family. Every time I spend money on a bass or equipment I think "that's money for my kids college I should be saving." However, I just splurged and bought a Jack Read Custom P/J and am so glad with my purchase. I enjoy just playing along to the radio with it because the sound is what I have been searching for.

If you can afford it without ill consequences, get the bass you want (check out Jack, while you're searching: www.readcustom.com).

4. its economical if you do it right... ive bought and sold around 30 basses and i always make money or break even, i think twice ive taken a loss and it was a small loss, under 50 bucks... the problem with buying new is you almost never get your money back, ive had many basses that i thought i liked for months and then i develop a love hate thing with them and they end up leaving... buy used, buy at a bargain... have fun with it and move on until you find what suits you

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the replies. I want a Sadowsky Metro, but most of all, I want a nice Fender style instrument. I was leaning towards a four, but if I go Sadowsky, I will likely get a five since I'm sure the B string would be a step up from my Tribute. I'll have to pray over this one. :help:

6. Good points.

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Just let your ears guide you. ;)

(Jim.. do you care about being economical with basses and guitars, while havin' a Ferrari and a Porsche??)

8. I used to have those cars;not anymore. But yes, I do care.

I basically broke even when I sold the Ferrari and I knew exactly what I was doing with it. That was cool move

I lost a bit when I sold the Porsche but it was worth it in fun factor. Definitely a dumb economical thing, no doubt.

But one has to pick and choose their vices, if any, when it comes to finances.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Although the Metros are beautiful, I'm leaning against getting one because the sound in my head is a P-bass tone. Unfortunately, all the Metros are J-bass derivatives. I think that Fender or Lakland Skyline will be the ticket for me. Thanks guys, this did really help me figure out what I wanted. :bassist: