Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maybe a pick up problem?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kimble19, Aug 3, 2005.

1. kimble19

kimble19

Aug 3, 2005
    Hi, Very new to this forum. I hope somebody out there can give their opinion to help me with a problem. I own a 1977 Kramer 450-B bass. As of lately I have to keep turning the volume up on my amp to get the same tone and volume that i like. Example: If I'm playing with my Fender Jazz at volume 2 when I plug in the Kramer I need to take it to volume 6 to match the output. Questions: Can pick ups become less senitive or wear out with age? (They are the originals) If so what can I do about it. I can play them but no very little about the inside.
    Thank you Bryan

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Magnets can lose their magentism. Try a new set of strings and/or raise the pickup(s) , moving it closer to the strings. If that ain't doin' it, there's a slew of after market pups available.
    It isn't active is it? Like, Is there a battery in there?

3. kimble19

kimble19

Aug 3, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. There are no batteries in this old girl. I will try and raise the pickups closer to the strings. I just put new strings on about 3 or 4 weeks ago. That did not make any difference. If raising the pick ups does not work what brand name would you suggest? They are not J or P style. One guy I showed the bass to called them "Soap Bars" I'm not sure if that is correct or not.
    Again thanks for any and all help.
    Bryan

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

replacements are limited to those that will fit the routing. You can measure the pups and go to pups sites which typically have the dimensions or reference by EMG sizes (EMG40 whatever). One of the main disadvantages of soaps is few replacement options cause they're made in a myriad of sizes.

To my knowledge Kramer hasn't been around long enough for the magnet to deplete noticeably unless the pups were exposed to some abuse - like somebody forceably strapping them face-face at opposite poles.

What matters is if you like the tone and you can get adequate volume from them to be of use and not how they compare to another bass - unless you have two of the exact same bass and so would imply something amiss. But changing the pup height does not only alter volume it will alter tone so it's worth exploration. Low output pups you can usually stick as close to the strings as you want without distorting - which is the only issue tonewise I've ran across from a pup being to the strings.