Maybe I'm just full of myself...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    But I really think I'm above what my English teacher is having us do.

I'm not an amazing writer or linguist, but I am a great reader. I was reading at a 12th grade level when I was in 5th grade.

The unit we are doing now is on personal reflective essays. Cool... We read one this week from September 12, 2001.

"The Case For Rage and Retribution" by Lance Barrow.

In it, he makes allusions to Hitler, Pearl Harbor, USS Cole, etc...

So, we get it on Teusday... She reads it to us, and we have to go home answer some questions, and define a few vocab words from the article. No problem.

We leave it alone until Friday, and then I start getting annoyed. She reads it AGAIN! And this time, stops to explain all the little tricks of writing... Rhetoric, allusions, etc..

All the while I'm thinking "Ya, lady, contrary to popular belief, we aren't idiots."

After class, I start bitching to a couple friends about it, and they are like "Man, I'm glad she did it. I didn't get that article at all!"

So, basically everyone in my school is an idiot. Except me... Because I have been reading and paying attention since I was 10. Great.
  2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Wait till college -- then you can have that experience all the time.
  3. Why aren't you in AP Lit/Lang at that point then?
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Or as I've been saying for a few years:

"SOME children left behind".

I work at a large institution of higher education and its pathetic the level that incoming students are reading/writing/performing at.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I'm good at it. I don't necessarily enjoy it. :p
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

so stop being full of yourself in the place you've 'settled'. If you apply yourself and move up to the Advanced classes, you might not need to look down at the once below you that need more assistance to 'get it'.

8. I started college September 1st. I have now witnessed a paper first hand..... written in ebonics.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    This is (IMO) disgusting. I remember some years ago that California's school systems were tossing around the idea of teaching ebonics classes to students, but I thought it was voted out.
  10. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That sounds pretty dumbed down for 18 year olds by UK standards.
  11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Just wait 'till you're in college. You won't pull through on great understanding of the text. Not an insult, just a personal experience ;)
  12. That too. I have run into some things others are reading that make me, "Whoahhhhh"
  13. Guess what, Mike? I went all the way through school getting all A's without ever doing any work. Top SAT scores, National Merit Scholar; then I got to college and the same effort got me D's and F's. Of course that was 40 years ago when people actually expected high school students to be literate, be able to recall and use the Pythagorean Theorum, and distinguish between George Washington and Eminem.

The real shocker for me today is visiting some of the colleges and universities in this country that have made a committment to maintaining excellence. There are a lot of very good students at these institutions and 75% of them are from Indonesia, Gabon, Brasil, India, Bulgaria, Cote d'Ivoire, China, Thailand, etc.; not from Columbus, Ohio or Denver, Colorado.

25 years ago when my wife was working her way through the first year at the University of New Orleans, she was tutoring frat boys from Tulane in common fractions. It has continued to get worse. We have an illiterate president who can't even read the speechs that someone else writes for him, but has a degree from Yale. Today we are a country of un-educated and under-educated ignoramuses. We would rather save our money for $150 sneakers than tax our ourselves for a better education, and we are more concerned that the "rights" of students to anarchy in the school are protected than the rights of students to a school setting that enhances learning.

A visiting professor at a major engineering university told me just before she returned to Turkey that she was shocked by what she saw in this country, "This is a country and society in decline." Perhaps you and others like you will decide not to sit on your butts, rather to apply the brains you have been blessed with and get this society back on track. I hope so, because the Chinese and Indians aren't going to cut us any slack.

I've got 3 sons and two of them are working hard, getting as much education as they can and being successful. One thinks education and training is for dummies and wonders why he is living in a hovel and can't hold a job. You make your choices and take the consequences. Good luck.
  14. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It's good training for the rest of your life because there's a very good chance you won't have the most stimulating job in the world either but hopefully it will pay the bills and put food on the table for you and whatever family you spawn. The fact that you aren't pushing yourself now with an A-P course says it's a good chance that you'll stick it out with mediocrity in your career too.
  15. One of my profs this semester gave us handouts on this study done on universities. It said that years ago the students had to actively learn the material(and study for several hours every day) to get by and get good grades, and that nowadays the professors are generous with their marking, being more lenient with writing and deadlines, students are studying less because of it(often less than an hour a day) and the educational system is declining because of it. So basically now you are paying them for a degree without learning anything.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

brad cook
  17. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    First things first, learn to spell tuesday, then you can talk about being above your english class.
  18. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thats certainly not the case in the UK. I aced my A-levels with moderate effort, and I can't get a mark of above 70 (for a First) at University.
  19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Depends on the university. 2:2s from some universities are more difficult to get than firsts from others.

A levels are also getting easier and easier... sigh

20. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hehe. I'm at Manchester in the English and American Studies department, which is one of the best in the country and a First here 'means' something :) If i was at "university of the West Coast" then maybe that would be a different story.